first Monday of the month

coxspss

Trying to find the syntax to identify the 1st Monday of the month in a data set of date values over several years.  I thought I had seen this before but couldn't find it in the archives, my apologies if I missed it.

Re: first Monday of the month

Art Kendall
Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
syntax to be.

Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
or third month on a calendar?

Re: first Monday of the month

coxspss
Thanks Art. Whether a string or a 0,1 binary for the flag, I need to identify among activity dates which is the 1st Monday of any given month.  Hope what I have helps, if not just holler.

actv_date = date of activity
FMM = indicator of 1st Monday of the month

actv_date FMM
6/29/2020
6/30/2020
7/1/2020
7/2/2020
7/3/2020
7/4/2020
7/5/2020
7/6/2020 Y
7/7/2020
7/8/2020

> On July 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
> flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
> syntax to be.
>
> Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
> or third month on a calendar?
>

> -----
> Art Kendall
> Social Research Consultants
> --
> Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

Re: first Monday of the month

coxspss
Sorry Art, missed part of your question, I'm only flagging the 1st Monday that occurs in any month, not the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Mondays.

> On July 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM coxspss coxspss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks Art. Whether a string or a 0,1 binary for the flag, I need to identify among activity dates which is the 1st Monday of any given month.  Hope what I have helps, if not just holler.
>
> actv_date = date of activity
> FMM = indicator of 1st Monday of the month
>
> actv_date FMM
> 6/29/2020
> 6/30/2020
> 7/1/2020
> 7/2/2020
> 7/3/2020
> 7/4/2020
> 7/5/2020
> 7/6/2020 Y
> 7/7/2020
> 7/8/2020
>

> > On July 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
> > flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
> > syntax to be.
> >
> > Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
> > or third month on a calendar?
> >

> > -----
> > Art Kendall
> > Social Research Consultants
> > --
> > Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

> > INFO REFCARD

Re: first Monday of the month

As Art K said in his reply, some clarification is needed, and a sample
dataset showing what you want to do would help.  But meanwhile, I suspect
that you need one of more of the date extraction functions shown here:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLVMB_26.0.0/statistics_reference_project_ddita/spss/base/syn_date_and_time_extraction_functions.html

See especially:

  XDATE.YEAR(datevalue)
  XDATE.MONTH(datevalue)
  XDATE.WKDAY(datevalue)

HTH.

coxspss wrote
> Trying to find the syntax to identify the 1st Monday of the month in a
> data set of date values over several years.  I thought I had seen this
> before but couldn't find it in the archives, my apologies if I missed it.

Re: first Monday of the month

Try this code.
data list list/actv_date(adate10).
begin data.
6/29/2020
6/30/2020
7/1/2020
7/2/2020
7/3/2020
7/4/2020
7/5/2020
7/6/2020
7/7/2020
7/8/2020
end data

compute wkday = xdate.wkday(actv_date).
do if wkday eq 2.
compute firstmonday = xdate.mday(actv_date) <= 7.
else.
compute firstmonday = 0.
end if.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 9:40 AM coxspss coxspss <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Art, missed part of your question, I'm only flagging the 1st Monday that occurs in any month, not the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Mondays.

> On July 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM coxspss coxspss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks Art. Whether a string or a 0,1 binary for the flag, I need to identify among activity dates which is the 1st Monday of any given month.  Hope what I have helps, if not just holler.
>
> actv_date = date of activity
> FMM = indicator of 1st Monday of the month
>
> actv_date FMM
> 6/29/2020
> 6/30/2020
> 7/1/2020
> 7/2/2020
> 7/3/2020
> 7/4/2020
> 7/5/2020
> 7/6/2020 Y
> 7/7/2020
> 7/8/2020
>

> > On July 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
> > flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
> > syntax to be.
> >
> > Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
> > or third month on a calendar?
> >

> > -----
> > Art Kendall
> > Social Research Consultants
> > --
> > Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

> > INFO REFCARD

Re: first Monday of the month

coxspss

Thanks Jon, the code worked perfectly, and thanks to Art & Bruce for having me revise the description.

On July 11, 2020 at 12:05 PM Jon Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Try this code.
data list list/actv_date(adate10).
begin data.
6/29/2020
6/30/2020
7/1/2020
7/2/2020
7/3/2020
7/4/2020
7/5/2020
7/6/2020
7/7/2020
7/8/2020
end data

compute wkday = xdate.wkday(actv_date).
do if wkday eq 2.
compute firstmonday = xdate.mday(actv_date) <= 7.
else.
compute firstmonday = 0.
end if.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 9:40 AM coxspss coxspss < [hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Art, missed part of your question, I'm only flagging the 1st Monday that occurs in any month, not the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Mondays.

> On July 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM coxspss coxspss < [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks Art. Whether a string or a 0,1 binary for the flag, I need to identify among activity dates which is the 1st Monday of any given month.  Hope what I have helps, if not just holler.
>
> actv_date = date of activity
> FMM = indicator of 1st Monday of the month
>
> actv_date FMM
> 6/29/2020
> 6/30/2020
> 7/1/2020
> 7/2/2020
> 7/3/2020
> 7/4/2020
> 7/5/2020
> 7/6/2020 Y
> 7/7/2020
> 7/8/2020
>

> > On July 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
> > flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
> > syntax to be.
> >
> > Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
> > or third month on a calendar?
> >

> > -----
> > Art Kendall
> > Social Research Consultants
> > --
> > Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

> > INFO REFCARD

Re: first Monday of the month

Here's a variation on Jon's code that doesn't compute variable wkday.  (If
you don't need it for anything else, why have it clutter up your dataset
needlessly?)

COMPUTE FirstMonday =
 XDATE.WKDAY(DateVar) EQ 2 AND
 XDATE.MDAY(DateVar) LE 7.
FORMATS FirstMonday(F1).

coxspss wrote
> [...]

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
>> >         command. To leave the list, send the command
>> >         SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
>> >         For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the
>> command
>> >         INFO REFCARD
>> >
>> >     >
>>
>>     --
>>     Jon K Peck
>>

> jkpeck@

>  mailto:

> jkpeck@

>> message to

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  mailto:

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the
> list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage
> subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Jon Peck
I admit, my code was not elegant.  I was trying to show the logic by breaking it into pieces, but Bruce’s more concise version is just fine.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 12:00 PM Bruce Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
>> >         command. To leave the list, send the command
>> >         SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
>> >         For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the
>> command
>> >         INFO REFCARD
>> >
>> >     >
>>
>>     --
>>     Jon K Peck
>>

> jkpeck@

>  mailto:

> jkpeck@

>> message to

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  mailto:

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the
> list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage
> subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Thanks gentlemen, once I saw the codes, the logic became evident of what I was missing, simple and eloquent.