error generated for failed save??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

error generated for failed save??

Maguin, Eugene

I got my directory path string mixed up on a save outfile command with the effect to attempt to save the file to nonexistent location. It seems like my attempt to do so should have generated an error listing in the output as well as showing in the error pane. But it didn’t in either place. Shouldn’t it have or am I not understanding something that I probably ought to know after all these years.

 

Gene Maguin

===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: error generated for failed save??

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Hi Gene.  I am unable to duplicate what you are reporting.  E.g.,

NEW FILE.
DATASET CLOSE ALL.
DATA LIST LIST / X(F1).
BEGIN DATA
1
END DATA.
 
SAVE OUTFILE "C:/NoFolderHere/junk.sav".
 
>Error # 61 in column 14.  Text: C:/NoFolderHere/junk.sav
>The filename is not valid.
>Execution of this command stops.
SAVE OUTFILE "C:/Temp/junk.sav".


And in the pane at the bottom of the syntax window:

Line   Command   Information
8       SAVE          The filename is not valid.



Maguin, Eugene wrote

> I got my directory path string mixed up on a save outfile command with the
> effect to attempt to save the file to nonexistent location. It seems like
> my attempt to do so should have generated an error listing in the output
> as well as showing in the error pane. But it didn't in either place.
> Shouldn't it have or am I not understanding something that I probably
> ought to know after all these years.
>
> Gene Maguin
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD





-----
--
Bruce Weaver
[hidden email]
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.

--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: error generated for failed save??

Maguin, Eugene
Bruce,
Thank you for the test. Your result prompted me to look through some other directories and I found the file.
Gene Maguin

-----Original Message-----
From: SPSSX(r) Discussion <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Bruce Weaver
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:34 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: error generated for failed save??

Hi Gene.  I am unable to duplicate what you are reporting.  E.g.,

NEW FILE.
DATASET CLOSE ALL.
DATA LIST LIST / X(F1).
BEGIN DATA
1
END DATA.
 
SAVE OUTFILE "C:/NoFolderHere/junk.sav".
 
>Error # 61 in column 14.  Text: C:/NoFolderHere/junk.sav The filename
>is not valid.
>Execution of this command stops.
SAVE OUTFILE "C:/Temp/junk.sav".


And in the pane at the bottom of the syntax window:

Line   Command   Information
8       SAVE          The filename is not valid.



Maguin, Eugene wrote

> I got my directory path string mixed up on a save outfile command with the
> effect to attempt to save the file to nonexistent location. It seems like
> my attempt to do so should have generated an error listing in the output
> as well as showing in the error pane. But it didn't in either place.
> Shouldn't it have or am I not understanding something that I probably
> ought to know after all these years.
>
> Gene Maguin
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD





-----
--
Bruce Weaver
[hidden email]
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.

--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD