Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

John F Hall

Just had a quick look through the demo files inside SPSS

(C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics\24\Samples\English)

 to see if there was anything I could use for tutorials and found a possibility survey_sample.sav. On inspection I found a derived variable agecat which should be integer, but has 2 superflous decimal places, probably the result of COMPUTE and RECODE.  Was this deliberate or an oversight?  If one of my students had done this, I would have deducted marks for not using FORMATS agecat (f1.0).

agecat Age category

Frequency

Percent

Valid Percent

Cumulative Percent

Valid

1.00 Less than 25

242

8.5

8.6

8.6

2.00 25 to 34

627

22.1

22.2

30.7

3.00 35 to 44

679

24.0

24.0

54.7

4.00 45 to 54

481

17.0

17.0

71.7

5.00 55 to 64

320

11.3

11.3

83.1

6.00 65 or older

479

16.9

16.9

100.0

Total

2828

99.9

100.0

Missing

System

4

0.1

Total

2832

100.0

In England we would say "Under 25" rather than "Less than 25".

John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)

[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:          [hidden email]

Website:     Journeys in Survey Research

Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)

Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Re: Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

When life gives you lemons, John, make lemonade.  You can use this as an
opportunity to demonstrate the FORMATS command, and to discuss the
distinction between VALUE LABELS and ADD VALUE LABELS.  You could also
demonstrate the use of LO and HI in RECODE, and show that after a condition
in a RECODE command has been met, no further conditions are checked.  E.g.,
notice how the RECODE command below works, despite using THRU HI for each of
the 6 values.  It works because the conditions are ordered correctly.

* Change path as needed on next line.
GET FILE "C:\SPSSdata\survey_sample.sav".
DESCRIPTIVES age.
FREQUENCIES agecat.

* Show how one could generate the agecat variable via RECODE.
* Demonstrate that after a condition is met, no further conditions are
checked.
RECODE age
 (65 THRU HI = 6)
 (55 THRU HI = 5)
 (45 THRU HI = 4)
 (35 THRU HI = 3)
 (25 THRU HI = 2)
 (LO THRU HI = 1) INTO agecat2.
FORMATS agecat agecat2 (F1).
VALUE LABELS agecat2
 1 "Under 25"
 2 "25 to 34"
 3 "35 to 44"
 4 "45 to 54"
 5 "55 to 64"
 6 "65 or older"
.
ADD VALUE LABELS agecat 1 "Under 25".
CROSSTABS agecat BY agecat2.

John F Hall wrote

> [...]
>
> 0.1
>

> Total
>
> 2832
>
> 100.0
>

> In England we would say "Under 25" rather than "Less than 25".
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:

> johnfhall@

>  <mailto:

> johnfhall@

> Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
> <http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/>
>

> Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
> <http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.html>
>
> Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)
> <http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-quality-of-
> life.html>

Re: Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

Bruce

Rick has already pleaded guilty for the SPSS example.  It looks like a
genuine rather than artificial data set, but what was the source and when
was it conducted?  When I looked at your syntax it reminded me of some
RECODE commands written by Jim Ring 40 years ago in the days before RECODE
..into..
something like:

COMPUTE agegroup = age.
RECODE agegroup (16 thru 25 = 1)(25 thru 45 =2)(45 thru 65=3(65 thru hi =4).

I queried it, but he rightly claimed that it would work correctly.  I had
never seen the same thing with thru HI.  Also first time I've seen ADD
VARIABLE LABELS to over-write an existing label.  I've only ever used it to
label new values (created after Jon's Python code to locate concordant and
discordant pairs: too complex to explain) without deleting the other labels.

Bit like living in France: you learn a new word/trick every day.

Another pedantic instruction is to add 0.5 to age when calculating
statistics (someone aged 51 is somewhere between 51 and 52) but no-one ever
does, so they are always out by 6 months.

John

> [...]

> 100.0
>

> In England we would say "Under 25" rather than "Less than 25".
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:

> johnfhall@

>  &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;
>
> Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt;
>

> Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.h
> tml&gt;
>
> Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-qu
> ality-of-
> life.html&gt;

Re: Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

While that particular dataset is based on "real" data, it has been substantially altered:

survey_sample.sav. This data file contains survey data, including demographic data and various attitude measures. It is based on a subset of variables from the 1998 NORC General Social Survey, although some data values have been modified and additional fictitious variables have been added for demonstration purposes.

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 3:35 AM, John F Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> 100.0
>

> In England we would say "Under 25" rather than "Less than 25".
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:

> johnfhall@

>  &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;
>
> Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt;
>

> Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.h
> tml&gt;
>
> Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-qu
> ality-of-
> life.html&gt;

Re: Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

To complete the example of using THRU HI in RECODE, I guess I should have
included another RECODE with the parenthetical bits in the opposite order.
Try the RECODE INTO agecat3 section below:

* Show how one could generate the agecat variable via RECODE.
* Demonstrate that the order is important.
RECODE age
 (65 THRU HI = 6)
 (55 THRU HI = 5)
 (45 THRU HI = 4)
 (35 THRU HI = 3)
 (25 THRU HI = 2)
 (LO THRU HI = 1) INTO agecat2.
RECODE age
 (LO THRU HI = 1)
 (25 THRU HI = 2)
 (35 THRU HI = 3)
 (45 THRU HI = 4)
 (55 THRU HI = 5)
 (65 THRU HI = 6) INTO agecat3.
FORMATS agecat agecat2 agecat3 (F1).
VALUE LABELS agecat2
 1 "Under 25"
 2 "25 to 34"
 3 "35 to 44"
 4 "45 to 54"
 5 "55 to 64"
 6 "65 or older"
.
ADD VALUE LABELS agecat 1 "Under 25".
CROSSTABS agecat BY agecat2 agecat3.

Because LO THRU HI captures all cases, everyone with a valid age ends up
with agecat3 = 1.

John F Hall wrote

> Bruce
>
> Rick has already pleaded guilty for the SPSS example.  It looks like a
> genuine rather than artificial data set, but what was the source and when
> was it conducted?  When I looked at your syntax it reminded me of some
> RECODE commands written by Jim Ring 40 years ago in the days before RECODE
> ..into..
> something like:
>
> COMPUTE agegroup = age.
> RECODE agegroup (16 thru 25 = 1)(25 thru 45 =2)(45 thru 65=3(65 thru hi
> =4).
>
> I queried it, but he rightly claimed that it would work correctly.  I had
> never seen the same thing with thru HI.  Also first time I've seen ADD
> VARIABLE LABELS to over-write an existing label.  I've only ever used it
> label new values (created after Jon's Python code to locate concordant and
> discordant pairs: too complex to explain) without deleting the other
> labels.
>
> Bit like living in France: you learn a new word/trick every day.
>
> Another pedantic instruction is to add 0.5 to age when calculating
> statistics (someone aged 51 is somewhere between 51 and 52) but no-one
> ever
> does, so they are always out by 6 months.
>
> John
>
> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>
> Email:

> johnfhall@

> Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
> Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
> Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Rick

Perhaps it should be updated?  It's the only data set which isn't geared to commercial and marketing ends, a long way from Nie, Hull and Jenkins (original blue manual) and Norusis (1987 and later editions).  There really is no need for fictitious data: there are plenty of recent data sets available with variables suitable for all types of analysis.  They even have Mixed Case labels, unlike NORC/GSS 2008 (see my commentary on the full 2008 NORC/GSS (http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/9/8/2998485/notes_on_full_gss_2008.pdf)

But then I'm not trying for sales-person of the year, just trying to "teach sociologists how to count".  As my old boss the late Dr Mark Abrams used to say, "If it's worth saying, you can say it with percentages."  However, since "a picture is worth a thousand words" he'd be calling for charts as well as tables.

John

> [...]

> 100.0
>

> In England we would say "Under 25" rather than "Less than 25".
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:

> johnfhall@

>  &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;
>
> Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt;
>

> Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.h
> tml&gt;
>
> Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-qu
> ality-of-
> life.html&gt;

Re: Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

PRogman
I have changed the setting in SPSS to create new variables from the default
F8.2 format to F8.0 (Edit|Options|Data|Display format for new numeric
variables). I most often create nominal or ordinal data so it suits me
better but then I have to remember when I need to see decimals...
/PRogman

Re: Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

John F Hall
I hardly ever have string variables, and they are mostly from mainframe
days.  I always convert them to numeric, usually with RECODE ...INTO for the
older ones, but sometimes with AUTRECODE with stuff I work on today.  These
dta sets have usually been generated from surveys by someone else.  I am
likely to need something like this for different variables in different
surveys.  Can your syntax be incorporated into a macro so that all I have to
do (outside your syntax) is enter the varlist and the value to be tabulated?
Now that would be a really valuable tool.  I'm no coder/programmer, just a
humble survey researcher with some KDF9 Algol programming 50 years ago
(8-hole paper tape input and output) to process and analyse a survey before
SPSS came to the rescue.

John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:          [hidden email]
Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)

Re: Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

zstatman
Sure Jon, always like those "peckgrams" and this one in particular since have
a dataset that needs a lot done to it

Tks
Will

-----
Will
Statistical Services

============
[hidden email]
http://home.earthlink.net/~z_statman/
Skype & Google Talk: zstatman
Will
Statistical Services

============
info.statman@cfl.rr.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~z_statman/
Skype & Google Talk: zstatman
============

Re: Superfluous decimals in demo file survey_sample.sav

PRogman
Here is a version. Followed by examples using the survey_sample.sav dataset.
HTH,
PRogman

DEFINE !MRTable(PTitle !TOKENS(1) !DEFAULT('')
/*Quoted string för procedure header  */
               /PTHide !TOKENS(1) !DEFAULT(0)
/*Hide PT; 0=Visible, 1=Hidden        */
               /TTitle !TOKENS(1) !DEFAULT('"Multiple Response Table"')
/*Quoted string for table header      */
               /TabVal !TOKENS(1) !DEFAULT(1)
/*Dichotomy group tabulated value     */
               /MRVar  !CMDEND
/*List of variables to include in mrs */
               )
PRESERVE.
SET MESSAGES NONE RESULTS NONE ERRORS NONE.   /*Remove to display MRSETS
output */

*For future development.
!LET !M = '$Var'

MRSETS
  /MDGROUP
   NAME           = !M
   CATEGORYLABELS = VARLABELS
   VARIABLES      = !MRVar
   VALUE          = !TabVal
  /DISPLAY
   NAME           = [!M]
.
RESTORE.

CTABLES
  /VLABELS    VARIABLES  = !M
              DISPLAY    = NONE
  /TABLE      !M       [C] [COUNT         'Cases \n(n)'   F8.0
                           ,COLPCT.COUNT  'Cases \n(%)' PCT8.1
                           ,TOTALS [COUNT                 F8.0
                                   ]
                           ]
  /CATEGORIES VARIABLES = !M
              ORDER=D KEY=COUNT EMPTY=INCLUDE TOTAL=YES POSITION=AFTER
LABEL='N=100%'
  /TITLES     TITLE     = !TTitle
              CAPTION   = !QUOTE(!CONCAT('Dichotomy group tabulated at value
', !TabVal ))
                          'More than 1 response per case allowed'
.
!IF ((!PTitle !NE '') !OR (!PTHide !EQ 1)) !THEN
*If new procedure title specified or request to hide...

!IF (!PTitle !NE '') !THEN !LET !P = !PTitle  !ELSE !LET !P = !QUOTE('Custom
Tables') !IFEND
SPSSINC MODIFY OUTPUT TITLES
  /IF COMMAND = "CTABLES" PROCESS  = PRECEDING
  /REPLACE ITEMS ITEMTITLE         = !P
  /VISIBILITY    VISIBLE           = !IF (!PTHide !NE 1) !THEN ASIS !ELSE
FALSE !IFEND
  /PAGEBREAKS    BREAKBEFORETITLES = NO .
!IFEND
!ENDDEFINE.

FILE HANDLE SPSS_Examples  /NAME='%SPSS_HOME%\Samples\English' .
FILE HANDLE Data          /NAME='SPSS_Examples\survey_sample.sav' .

GET FILE = Data.

DATASET NAME Demo WINDOW=FRONT.

*news1 news2 news3 news4 news5 are dchotomous variables (0|1) *.

*Minimum arguments *.
!MRTable
  MRVar  = news1 news2 news3 news4 news5
.
*Specify MRSETS tabulated value *.
!MRTable
  TabVal = 1
  MRVar  = news1 news2 news3 news4 news5
.
*and specify Table title *.
!MRTable
  TTitle = 'News Sources'
  MRVar  = news1 news2 news3 news4 news5
.
*Change procedure Title *.
!MRTable
  PTitle = 'SPSS Demo dataset Survey_Sample.sav'
  TTitle = 'News Sources'
  MRVar  = news1 news2 news3 news4 news5
.
*or hide procedure title *.