Quantcast

Sort Variables

Threaded

Sort Variables

emma78
Hi,
we need to create sorted variables lists.

Our data looks like this:

ID
c_0001
c_0002
c_0003
v_1
v_2
v_3
v_4
v_5
v_6
v_27
v_28
v_29
v_25_1
v_25_2
v_25_3
v_27_1
v_27_2
v_27_3
v_28_1
v_28_2
v_28_3
v_29_1
v_29_2
v_29_3
v_26_1
v_26_2
v_26_3

It should like:
ID
c_0001
c_0002
c_0003
v_1
v_2
v_3
v_4
v_5
v_6
v_25_1
v_25_2
v_25_3
v_26_1
v_26_2
v_26_3
v_27_1
v_27_2
v_27_3
v_28_1
v_28_2
v_28_3
v_29_1
v_29_2
v_29_3

v_27
v_28
v_29

In this little example only the three variables with v_26 aren't in the right order and the whole block with the _variables are at the end. Of course I can do that manually but if there are thousands of them it will be difficult.

Is there a possibility to sort them in the right order? I can also do that with the menu and sort by name but then the whole block is still at the end.

Many thanks for your suggestions!
Threaded

Re: Sort Variables

Hello Emma.  I am confused by the comment you made after showing the desired variable order.

You said, "only the three variables with v_26 aren't in the right order and the whole block with the _variables are at the end".

Did you mean that THIS is the desired order?

ID
c_0001
c_0002
c_0003
v_1
v_2
v_3
v_4
v_5
v_6
v_27
v_28
v_29
v_25_1
v_25_2
v_25_3
v_26_1
v_26_2
v_26_3
v_27_1
v_27_2
v_27_3
v_28_1
v_28_2
v_28_3
v_29_1
v_29_2
v_29_3

If that *is* what you meant, try this:

SORT VARIABLES BY NAME (A).
ADD FILES FILE=* /KEEP=ID ALL.
EXECUTE.

HTH.

emma78 wrote
[...]

I made a mistake, sorry for the confusion:

ID
c_0001
c_0002
c_0003
v_1
v_2
v_3
v_4
v_5
v_6
v_30
v_31
v_32
v_25_1
v_25_2
v_25_3
v_27_1
v_27_2
v_27_3
v_28_1
v_28_2
v_28_3
v_29_1
v_29_2
v_29_3
v_26_1
v_26_2
v_26_3

and it shoud like
ID
c_0001
c_0002
c_0003
v_1
v_2
v_3
v_4
v_5
v_6
v_25_1
v_25_2
v_25_3
v_26_1
v_26_2
v_26_3
v_27_1
v_27_2
v_27_3
v_28_1
v_28_2
v_28_3
v_29_1
v_29_2
v_29_3
v_30
v_31
v_32
Threaded

Re: Sort Variables

Assuming
- you want to sort the names according to the numeric value of the number strings.  Sorted as numbers, you would get 1,2,3,...25,26...
Sorted as strings you would get
1,2,25,26,...,3, 4,...

- these names are in an existing variable dictionary

- all the names except ID should be alphabetized.  ID should remain first

Try this code.

begin program.
import spss, spssaux

varlist = spssaux.VariableDict().variables
varlist.pop(varlist.index('ID'))

def f(key):
    key = key.split("_")
    for k, item in enumerate(key):
        try:
            item = int(item)
        except:
            pass
        key[k] = item
    return key

s = sorted(varlist, key=f)

spss.Submit(r"""ADD FILES FILE=*
/KEEP=ID %s.""" % " ".join(s))
end program.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 9:17 AM, emma78 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

is it possible to sort this variable list
lfdn
v_20_1
v_20_2
v_20_3
v_20_4
v_20_5
v_20_6
v_20_7
v_20_8
v_20_9
v_20_10
v_20_11
v_20_12
v_20_13
v_20_14
v_20_15
v_20_16
v_21_1
v_21_2
v_21_3
v_21_4
v_21_5
v_21_6
v_21_7
v_21_8
v_21_9
v_21_10
v_21_11
v_21_12
v_21_13
v_21_14
v_21_15
v_21_16

that it looks like
lfdn
v_20_1
v_21_1
v_20_2
v_21_2
v_20_3
v_21_3
v_20_4
v_21_4
v_20_5
v_21_5
v_20_6
v_21_6
v_20_7
v_21_7
v_20_8
v_21_8
v_20_9
v_21_9
v_20_10
v_21_10
v_20_11
v_21_11
v_20_12
v_21_12
v_20_13
v_21_13
v_20_14
v_21_14
v_20_15
v_21_15
v_20_16
v_21_16

I already tried to adapt the Python script but it doesn't work :-(

begin program.
import spss, spssaux

varlist = spssaux.VariableDict().variables
varlist.pop(varlist.index('lfdn'))

def f(key):
    key = key.split("_")
    for k, item in enumerate(key):
        try:
            item = int(item)
        except:
            pass
        key[k] = item
    return key

s = sorted(varlist, key=f)

spss.Submit(r"""ADD FILES FILE=*
/KEEP=lfdn  %s.""" % " ".join(s))
end program.
Threaded

Re: Sort Variables

John F Hall
Emma

In haste and untested, but supply your own <full file pathname>, then
something like:

save out '<full file pathname>'
        /keep lfdn
v_20_1
v_21_1
v_20_2
v_21_2
v_20_3
v_21_3
v_20_4
v_21_4
v_20_5
v_21_5
v_20_6
v_21_6
v_20_7
v_21_7
v_20_8
v_21_8
v_20_9
v_21_9
v_20_10
v_21_10
v_20_11
v_21_11
v_20_12
v_21_12
v_20_13
v_21_13
v_20_14
v_21_14
v_20_15
v_21_15
v_20_16
v_21_16.

John F Hall (Mr)
[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:   [hidden email]
Website: www.surveyresearch.weebly.com
SPSS start page:
www.surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop

[...]

Try this as your key function.

def f(key):
    key = key.split("_")
    return (int(key[2]), int(key[1]))

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 8:26 AM, emma78 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That is working thank you!
Is it posible to adajust it, just in case we have some variables with only one '_' in the name?
That these two stays before the v_20_XXX? In the moment the syntax isn't working, if I keep this variables in the dataset, thank you!
So
lfdn
v_2
v_3
v_20_1
v_20_2
v_20_3
v_20_4
v_20_5
v_20_6
v_20_7
v_20_8
v_20_9
v_20_10
v_20_11
v_20_12
v_20_13
v_20_14
v_20_15
v_20_16
v_21_1
v_21_2
v_21_3
v_21_4
v_21_5
Threaded

Re: Sort Variables

Jon Peck
This key function will do it.

def f(key):
    key = key.split("_")
    if len(key) == 3:
        return (int(key[2]), int(key[1]))
    else:
        return (0, int(key[1]))

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:15 AM, emma78 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

another question regarding this sorting problem

lfdn
v_1
v_55
v_40_1
v_40_2
v_40_3
v_40_4
v_41_1
v_41_2
v_41_3
v_41_4
v_42_1
v_42_2
v_42_3
v_42_4
v_43_1
should look like

lfdn
v_1
v_40_1
v_41_1
v_42_1
v_43_1
v_40_2
v_41_2
v_42_2
v_40_3
v_41_3
v_42_3
v_40_4
v_41_4
v_42_4
v_55

I already got this script

begin program.
import spss, spssaux
varlist = spssaux.VariableDict().variables
varlist.pop(varlist.index('lfdn'))
def f(key):
    key = key.split("_")
    if len(key) == 3:
        return (int(key[2]), int(key[1]))
    else:
        return (0, int(key[1]))
    for k, item in enumerate(key):
        try:
            item = int(item)
        except:
            pass
        key[k] = item
    return key
s = sorted(varlist, key=f)
spss.Submit(r"""ADD FILES FILE=*
/KEEP=lfdn duration  %s.""" % " ".join(s))
end program.

but the v_55 stays the same and doesn`t appear after the v_42_4. Any suggestion on this?

Another problem occurs in a dataset with a lot of variables, I got this message

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 18, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 10, in f
IndexError: list index out of range

Anybody knows what this means?

Threaded

Re: Sort Variables

Kirill Orlov
Emma78,
I also recommend you to consider one of my old macros called !INTLACE, found on http://www.spsstools.net/en/KO-spssmacros/ in collection "Job tools".

It does not sorts, but it re-arranges (interlaces) elements of blocks of names. It is handy to change the order of variables in a list when you have some blocks of names, say, X1 XY1 YZ1 Z2; the macro will re-arrange the order into: X1 Y1 Z1 X2 Y2 Z
2.

Use tilda to separate your blocks. Blocks do not need be equal length.

*Mode 1. Print out result.
!intlace (PRINT)
 v_1 ~
 v_55 ~
 v_40_1
 v_40_2
 v_40_3
 v_40_4 ~
 v_41_1
 v_41_2
 v_41_3
 v_41_4 ~
 v_42_1
 v_42_2
 v_42_3
 v_42_4 ~
 v_43_1.

Prints out result as this list:
 v_1 v_55 v_40_1 v_41_1 v_42_1 v_43_1 v_40_2 v_41_2 v_42_2 v_40_3 v_41_3 v_42_3
v_40_4 v_41_4 v_42_4

*Mode2. Insert result in a command.
match files /file= * /keep= !intlace
 v_1 ~
 v_55 ~
 v_40_1
 v_40_2
 v_40_3
 v_40_4 ~
 v_41_1
 v_41_2
 v_41_3
 v_41_4 ~
 v_42_1
 v_42_2
 v_42_3
 v_42_4 ~
 v_43_1.
exec.

Produces ans runs the following syntax:
match files /file= *
  /keep= v_1 v_55 v_40_1 v_41_1 v_42_1 v_43_1 v_40_2 v_41_2 v_42_2 v_40_3
         v_41_3 v_42_3 v_40_4 v_41_4 v_42_4.
exec.

Threaded

Re: Sort Variables

Jon Peck
Just change the line after "else" to read
    else:
        return (int(key[1]), 0)

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Kirill Orlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jon, thank you.
It works, but only unless there isn`t another variable which doesn't start with v_ in the dataset.

I try to write the duration and lfdn after /KEEP=
but then the whole syntax doesn't work, is there an adjustment possible?

lfdn
duration
v_1
v_55
v_40_1
v_40_2
v_40_3
v_40_4
v_41_1
v_41_2
v_41_3
v_41_4
v_42_1
v_42_2
v_42_3
v_42_4
v_43_1
Threaded

Re: Sort Variables

John F Hall

Simple old me thinks, at least for this analysis, why not just use:

save out <pathway/filename>

               /keep lfdn

v_1

v_40_1