SPSS won't start. Help needed.

John F Hall
SPSS (15) refuses to start, either from scratch or by double-clicking on a saved file.  I keep getting a message saying MSVCR71.dll could not be found and suggesting re-installation may help fix the problem.  No idea why this is happening, so urgent help needed.  It may be a Windows problem, or it may be from a registry clean-up the other day.  Meanwhile I'll try re-installing SPSS, if I can work out  how.

Re: SPSS won't start. Help needed.

John F Hall
Re-installed using "Repair" option.  Seems to work now: panic over.
SPSS (15) refuses to start, either from scratch or by double-clicking on a saved file.  I keep getting a message saying MSVCR71.dll could not be found and suggesting re-installation may help fix the problem.  No idea why this is happening, so urgent help needed.  It may be a Windows problem, or it may be from a registry clean-up the other day.  Meanwhile I'll try re-installing SPSS, if I can work out  how.

Re: SPSS won't start. Help needed.

Jerabek Jindrich
John,

as you wrote the registry cleaning probably caused the problem.
Many cleaning programs make back up copy of registry before cleaning, try to return to the registry before cleaning. It could be easier and faster than reinstallng SPSS.

Jindra

> Od: John F Hall <[hidden email]>
> Předmět: SPSS won't start. Help needed.
> Datum: 17.1.2010 08:04:50
> SPSS (15) refuses to start, either from scratch or by double-clicking on a saved
> file.  I keep getting a message saying MSVCR71.dll could not be found and
> suggesting re-installation may help fix the problem.  No idea why this is
> happening, so urgent help needed.  It may be a Windows problem, or it may be
> from a registry clean-up the other day.  Meanwhile I'll try re-installing SPSS,
> if I can work out  how.

Re: SPSS won't start. Help needed.

ajayohri
IBM wants you to upgrade

Not kidding

Ajay

Www.decisionstats.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 16, 2010, at 10:22 PM, John F Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

SPSS (15) refuses to start, either from scratch or by double-clicking on a saved file.  I keep getting a message saying MSVCR71.dll could not be found and suggesting re-installation may help fix the problem.  No idea why this is happening, so urgent help needed.  It may be a Windows problem, or it may be from a registry clean-up the other day.  Meanwhile I'll try re-installing SPSS, if I can work out  how.

Re: SPSS won't start. Help needed.

John F Hall
No way!  I'm sticking to 15.  Re-installed it and hunky dory, but missed a few heartbeats.
On Jan 16, 2010, at 10:22 PM, John F Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

SPSS (15) refuses to start, either from scratch or by double-clicking on a saved file.  I keep getting a message saying MSVCR71.dll could not be found and suggesting re-installation may help fix the problem.  No idea why this is happening, so urgent help needed.  It may be a Windows problem, or it may be from a registry clean-up the other day.  Meanwhile I'll try re-installing SPSS, if I can work out  how.

Re: SPSS won't start. Help needed.

azharuddin
You can try to use Compatiblity mode and see if you can get SPSS 13 to work.
There are two ways to try and run in compatibility mode.
One, Right click on the program’s icon and go to the Compatibility tab, and
choose the program for the version in which it ran successfully. This
patches up APIs and generally makes things friendly for the old application.
Second method: Type in “compatibility” in the Start Menu and select Run
Program made for previous version of Windows, which launches Program
Compatibility wizard.  And then you walk through a Wizard, explaining what
worked before, and it will suggest what it can do about it.  Try the
recommended settings first, and troubleshoot program second. This topic
covers in  SPSS Training <https://mindmajix.com/spss-training>  .

Depending on the version of Windows 7 you have installed, you may be able to
use Windows XP mode.
Running Windows XP Mode requires:

1. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions.
2. A computer capable of hardware virtualization. This means your computer
has a central processing unit (CPU) with either Intel-VT or AMD-V
virtualization features.
3. Virtualization features turned on in your computer’s basic input/output
system (BIOS).

To determine whether your computer’s CPU is capable of hardware
virtualization, go to the Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC support
website and download a utility that can check whether your Intel or AMD CPU
is compatible.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx

To find your brand of processor so you can download the appropriate utility,
click the Start button , right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
Under System, next to Processor, you can see what type of CPU you have.

Even if your CPU can run Windows XP Mode, you might also need to turn on
virtualization settings in your computer’s BIOS. Procedures vary depending
on the BIOS manufacturer. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked
questions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/BIOS-frequently-asked-questions

For more information, please logon to:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7#section_3