SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

shududy
Hello,

I am a finance student and we got a homework from our beloved professor. He gave us a sample and demanded some analysis... However, I am a newbie and got some issues, I hope I can find some answer to those...

First, he asks me to find a relationship between education degree(high school, university etc..) and income level. Which should I use? Colleration or Chi-Square? And which kind of report I should write..

The second question is the "difference" between computer ownership and income... The question and report are asked just as above..

Thanks for your help, if you want to see the .sav file to check, I can send it as well.

Sinan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Rich Ulrich
Try them all and see! 

What does a correlation tell you?
What does an ANOVA tell you?
What does a contingency table (chi-squared) tell you (if you
have categories for income)?

You won't know very well what these analyses do and how to
read them until you have seen a *lot* of them, both when they
are appropriate and when they are not.  So your experience with
"wrong" analyses won't be wasted -- it becomes background for
the future.

--
Rich Ulrich

> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:22:08 -0700

> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Hello,
>
> I am a finance student and we got a homework from our beloved professor. He
> gave us a sample and demanded some analysis... However, I am a newbie and
> got some issues, I hope I can find some answer to those...
>
> First, he asks me to find a relationship between education degree(high
> school, university etc..) and income level. Which should I use? Colleration
> or Chi-Square? And which kind of report I should write..
>
> The second question is the "difference" between computer ownership and
> income... The question and report are asked just as above..
>
> Thanks for your help, if you want to see the .sav file to check, I can send
> it as well.
>
...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Ryan Black
In reply to this post by shududy
This may sound harsh, but I really hope no one provides the OP with any specific answers. I am certain the professor is expecting the OP to complete the assignment independently. If the OP is struggling, then the OP should ask to meet with the professor. If the professor is unable to meet, *ask* the professor if a grad student/TA or someone from the stats dept. could be consulted for guidance.

IMO, SPSS-L should *not* be a place where students are able to have someone else solve assignment problems which are used to gauge level of understanding and potentially grades.

Ryan

On Apr 13, 2013, at 1:22 PM, shududy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a finance student and we got a homework from our beloved professor. He
> gave us a sample and demanded some analysis... However, I am a newbie and
> got some issues, I hope I can find some answer to those...
>
> First, he asks me to find a relationship between education degree(high
> school, university etc..) and income level. Which should I use? Colleration
> or Chi-Square? And which kind of report I should write..
>
> The second question is the "difference" between computer ownership and
> income... The question and report are asked just as above..
>
> Thanks for your help, if you want to see the .sav file to check, I can send
> it as well.
>
> Sinan
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452.html
> Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
> [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

J. R. Carroll-3
Ryan,

I agree that we shouldn't be doing homework for people, but I think this listserv, and all other public forums, should be open to teaching and helping people find more information.  Completing an 'assignment independently' doesn't mean in complete isolation and without help.  I think Rich's approach is a fair balance.  But, if for every student that wonders in here saying "Im lost, because my professor gave me an assignment I don't feel comfortable doing" we'd be turning away potential people who should feel encouraged to engage professionals in the field - a 'conversation' is much different than finishing an assignment.  I may also be making a dangerous assumption here, but I don't English is his native language (*cough* Colleration), so his question might seem terse and asking for someone to complete the assignment but he's made the effort to go as far to join the list and submit a question, so I assume he's interested in learning - perhaps his question is just poorly formed?  

With that, IMO, Ryan, I do agree with your warning - I hope that no one just 'gives' him the answers.  If you are going to help off-list, please at least try to teach him how to find the answer himself.  

What's that old saying?   "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"...  
And then to my other points there's that other saying about assuming... Something about how it makes people look really awesome... damn! what is it?  oh, nevermind - I forget it all the time, oh well!  I ASSume without restraint anyways.

----


J. R. Carroll
Independent Researcher through Hurtz Labs
Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics
Cell:  (650) 776-6613
          [hidden email]
          [hidden email]



On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Subscribe SAS-L Anonymous <[hidden email]> wrote:
This may sound harsh, but I really hope no one provides the OP with any specific answers. I am certain the professor is expecting the OP to complete the assignment independently. If the OP is struggling, then the OP should ask to meet with the professor. If the professor is unable to meet, *ask* the professor if a grad student/TA or someone from the stats dept. could be consulted for guidance.

IMO, SPSS-L should *not* be a place where students are able to have someone else solve assignment problems which are used to gauge level of understanding and potentially grades.

Ryan

On Apr 13, 2013, at 1:22 PM, shududy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a finance student and we got a homework from our beloved professor. He
> gave us a sample and demanded some analysis... However, I am a newbie and
> got some issues, I hope I can find some answer to those...
>
> First, he asks me to find a relationship between education degree(high
> school, university etc..) and income level. Which should I use? Colleration
> or Chi-Square? And which kind of report I should write..
>
> The second question is the "difference" between computer ownership and
> income... The question and report are asked just as above..
>
> Thanks for your help, if you want to see the .sav file to check, I can send
> it as well.
>
> Sinan
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452.html
> Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
> [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Art Kendall
I concur. 
Rich handled the post very well.

I also do not think it is out of line to point out the resources under <help> tutorials, case studies, and statistics coach.
Sometimes it would also be legit to point out <help> <topics> and what to enter in the edit box.

It also would be legit to suggest good analysis habits such as filling in and understanding the variables view before starting.
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants
On 4/13/2013 3:29 PM, J. R. Carroll-3 [via SPSSX Discussion] wrote:
Ryan,

I agree that we shouldn't be doing homework for people, but I think this listserv, and all other public forums, should be open to teaching and helping people find more information.  Completing an 'assignment independently' doesn't mean in complete isolation and without help.  I think Rich's approach is a fair balance.  But, if for every student that wonders in here saying "Im lost, because my professor gave me an assignment I don't feel comfortable doing" we'd be turning away potential people who should feel encouraged to engage professionals in the field - a 'conversation' is much different than finishing an assignment.  I may also be making a dangerous assumption here, but I don't English is his native language (*cough* Colleration), so his question might seem terse and asking for someone to complete the assignment but he's made the effort to go as far to join the list and submit a question, so I assume he's interested in learning - perhaps his question is just poorly formed?  

With that, IMO, Ryan, I do agree with your warning - I hope that no one just 'gives' him the answers.  If you are going to help off-list, please at least try to teach him how to find the answer himself.  

What's that old saying?   "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"...  
And then to my other points there's that other saying about assuming... Something about how it makes people look really awesome... damn! what is it?  oh, nevermind - I forget it all the time, oh well!  I ASSume without restraint anyways.

----


J. R. Carroll
Independent Researcher through Hurtz Labs
Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics
Cell:  (650) 776-6613
          [hidden email]
          [hidden email]



On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Subscribe SAS-L Anonymous <[hidden email]> wrote:
This may sound harsh, but I really hope no one provides the OP with any specific answers. I am certain the professor is expecting the OP to complete the assignment independently. If the OP is struggling, then the OP should ask to meet with the professor. If the professor is unable to meet, *ask* the professor if a grad student/TA or someone from the stats dept. could be consulted for guidance.

IMO, SPSS-L should *not* be a place where students are able to have someone else solve assignment problems which are used to gauge level of understanding and potentially grades.

Ryan

On Apr 13, 2013, at 1:22 PM, shududy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a finance student and we got a homework from our beloved professor. He
> gave us a sample and demanded some analysis... However, I am a newbie and
> got some issues, I hope I can find some answer to those...
>
> First, he asks me to find a relationship between education degree(high
> school, university etc..) and income level. Which should I use? Colleration
> or Chi-Square? And which kind of report I should write..
>
> The second question is the "difference" between computer ownership and
> income... The question and report are asked just as above..
>
> Thanks for your help, if you want to see the .sav file to check, I can send
> it as well.
>
> Sinan
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452.html
> Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
> [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD




If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719455.html
To start a new topic under SPSSX Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SPSSX Discussion, click here.
NAML

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Ryan Black
My response had nothing to do with Rich's response. In fact, I loved Rich's response!

I stated that providing somebody with specific answers to a HW assignment is off limits on SPSS-L, for me. I have, on occasion, provided a little nudge in the right direction, but not beyond that. 

Providing somebody with good data management habits and referring them to tutorials do not contradict what I stated. 

Words like "beloved" and "demanded," coupled with questions that I interpreted as *answer the question(s) for me* prompted my response. I do not believe that my interpretation is the same as ASSuming something. It seemed clear to me that the OP wanted specific answers. The OP even offered sending the data file. 

Needless to say, others may deal with such requests as they please.

Ryan 

On Apr 13, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:

I concur. 
Rich handled the post very well.

I also do not think it is out of line to point out the resources under <help> tutorials, case studies, and statistics coach.
Sometimes it would also be legit to point out <help> <topics> and what to enter in the edit box.

It also would be legit to suggest good analysis habits such as filling in and understanding the variables view before starting.
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants
On 4/13/2013 3:29 PM, J. R. Carroll-3 [via SPSSX Discussion] wrote:
Ryan,

I agree that we shouldn't be doing homework for people, but I think this listserv, and all other public forums, should be open to teaching and helping people find more information.  Completing an 'assignment independently' doesn't mean in complete isolation and without help.  I think Rich's approach is a fair balance.  But, if for every student that wonders in here saying "Im lost, because my professor gave me an assignment I don't feel comfortable doing" we'd be turning away potential people who should feel encouraged to engage professionals in the field - a 'conversation' is much different than finishing an assignment.  I may also be making a dangerous assumption here, but I don't English is his native language (*cough* Colleration), so his question might seem terse and asking for someone to complete the assignment but he's made the effort to go as far to join the list and submit a question, so I assume he's interested in learning - perhaps his question is just poorly formed?  

With that, IMO, Ryan, I do agree with your warning - I hope that no one just 'gives' him the answers.  If you are going to help off-list, please at least try to teach him how to find the answer himself.  

What's that old saying?   "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"...  
And then to my other points there's that other saying about assuming... Something about how it makes people look really awesome... damn! what is it?  oh, nevermind - I forget it all the time, oh well!  I ASSume without restraint anyways.

----


J. R. Carroll
Independent Researcher through Hurtz Labs
Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics
Cell:  (650) 776-6613
          [hidden email]
          [hidden email]



On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Subscribe SAS-L Anonymous <[hidden email]> wrote:
This may sound harsh, but I really hope no one provides the OP with any specific answers. I am certain the professor is expecting the OP to complete the assignment independently. If the OP is struggling, then the OP should ask to meet with the professor. If the professor is unable to meet, *ask* the professor if a grad student/TA or someone from the stats dept. could be consulted for guidance.

IMO, SPSS-L should *not* be a place where students are able to have someone else solve assignment problems which are used to gauge level of understanding and potentially grades.

Ryan

On Apr 13, 2013, at 1:22 PM, shududy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a finance student and we got a homework from our beloved professor. He
> gave us a sample and demanded some analysis... However, I am a newbie and
> got some issues, I hope I can find some answer to those...
>
> First, he asks me to find a relationship between education degree(high
> school, university etc..) and income level. Which should I use? Colleration
> or Chi-Square? And which kind of report I should write..
>
> The second question is the "difference" between computer ownership and
> income... The question and report are asked just as above..
>
> Thanks for your help, if you want to see the .sav file to check, I can send
> it as well.
>
> Sinan
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452.html
> Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
> [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD




If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719455.html
To start a new topic under SPSSX Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SPSSX Discussion, click here.
NAML

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants


View this message in context: Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis
Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Art Kendall
Perhaps I was unclear.
I concurred with what you said.

I should have then transitioned to ALSO Richard handled the OP very well.


I also never provide direct answers to students. 
in fact, I have been kiddingly accused of always answering most posts with questions rather than answers



Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants
On 4/13/2013 4:34 PM, R B [via SPSSX Discussion] wrote:
My response had nothing to do with Rich's response. In fact, I loved Rich's response!

I stated that providing somebody with specific answers to a HW assignment is off limits on SPSS-L, for me. I have, on occasion, provided a little nudge in the right direction, but not beyond that. 

Providing somebody with good data management habits and referring them to tutorials do not contradict what I stated. 

Words like "beloved" and "demanded," coupled with questions that I interpreted as *answer the question(s) for me* prompted my response. I do not believe that my interpretation is the same as ASSuming something. It seemed clear to me that the OP wanted specific answers. The OP even offered sending the data file. 

Needless to say, others may deal with such requests as they please.

Ryan 

On Apr 13, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:

I concur. 
Rich handled the post very well.

I also do not think it is out of line to point out the resources under <help> tutorials, case studies, and statistics coach.
Sometimes it would also be legit to point out <help> <topics> and what to enter in the edit box.

It also would be legit to suggest good analysis habits such as filling in and understanding the variables view before starting.
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants
On 4/13/2013 3:29 PM, J. R. Carroll-3 [via SPSSX Discussion] wrote:
Ryan,

I agree that we shouldn't be doing homework for people, but I think this listserv, and all other public forums, should be open to teaching and helping people find more information.  Completing an 'assignment independently' doesn't mean in complete isolation and without help.  I think Rich's approach is a fair balance.  But, if for every student that wonders in here saying "Im lost, because my professor gave me an assignment I don't feel comfortable doing" we'd be turning away potential people who should feel encouraged to engage professionals in the field - a 'conversation' is much different than finishing an assignment.  I may also be making a dangerous assumption here, but I don't English is his native language (*cough* Colleration), so his question might seem terse and asking for someone to complete the assignment but he's made the effort to go as far to join the list and submit a question, so I assume he's interested in learning - perhaps his question is just poorly formed?  

With that, IMO, Ryan, I do agree with your warning - I hope that no one just 'gives' him the answers.  If you are going to help off-list, please at least try to teach him how to find the answer himself.  

What's that old saying?   "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"...  
And then to my other points there's that other saying about assuming... Something about how it makes people look really awesome... damn! what is it?  oh, nevermind - I forget it all the time, oh well!  I ASSume without restraint anyways.

----


J. R. Carroll
Independent Researcher through Hurtz Labs
Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics
Cell:  (650) 776-6613
          [hidden email]
          [hidden email]



On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Subscribe SAS-L Anonymous <[hidden email]> wrote:
This may sound harsh, but I really hope no one provides the OP with any specific answers. I am certain the professor is expecting the OP to complete the assignment independently. If the OP is struggling, then the OP should ask to meet with the professor. If the professor is unable to meet, *ask* the professor if a grad student/TA or someone from the stats dept. could be consulted for guidance.

IMO, SPSS-L should *not* be a place where students are able to have someone else solve assignment problems which are used to gauge level of understanding and potentially grades.

Ryan

On Apr 13, 2013, at 1:22 PM, shududy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a finance student and we got a homework from our beloved professor. He
> gave us a sample and demanded some analysis... However, I am a newbie and
> got some issues, I hope I can find some answer to those...
>
> First, he asks me to find a relationship between education degree(high
> school, university etc..) and income level. Which should I use? Colleration
> or Chi-Square? And which kind of report I should write..
>
> The second question is the "difference" between computer ownership and
> income... The question and report are asked just as above..
>
> Thanks for your help, if you want to see the .sav file to check, I can send
> it as well.
>
> Sinan
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452.html
> Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
> [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD




If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719455.html
To start a new topic under SPSSX Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SPSSX Discussion, click here.
NAML

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants


View this message in context: Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis
Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719457.html
To start a new topic under SPSSX Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SPSSX Discussion, click here.
NAML

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

shududy
Ok, guys thanks for the responses :)

First of all, my native language is not English, so there might be some grammar mistakes or misunderstandings on my post.

Actually I wrote here because I thought this mail list was for students who help each other. It looks like people help each other, but they are mostly experienced or academic guys. Just like you, I suppose.

So, when I first read the responses, I thought "Ow, well well, it looks like they are just giving me some advices about the greatness of searching, on Google." Then I did it, mean it. And found some web sites about the information I was looking for. It was helpful, but I could not be sure about the correctness of the knowledge. It was mainly in Turkish, so posting those to here would not be helpful.

Anyways, I found that Colleretion Analysis mostly worked for me. Chi-square was another topic. And I also found that Individual group T-Test was also useful for me. However, I have a question for this method (a real one ;)

On the sample file, there are two sections for the income. One of them is categorised (so poor, average, rich etc..) and the other one is like this (700 $, 1260 $...) From your point of view, which one is more suitible for a Individual group T-Test? I am confused on that. I called one of my friends and he was also confused on that.

Thanks for your help and support :)

Sinan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
The primary purpose of this mailing list, as I understand it, is to ask questions that are specific to SPSS (e.g., how can I perform Task X with SPSS).  There are other fora that are arguably more appropriate for asking general stats questions.  Some of them were mentioned in the "Tips on Posting Questions to the SPSS List" thread.  E.g.,

http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/Tips-on-Posting-questions-to-the-SPSS-list-tp5715038p5715064.html

http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/Tips-on-Posting-questions-to-the-SPSS-list-tp5715038p5715078.html

List members do sometimes post things that are not necessarily specific to SPSS.  When they do, it is polite (if not customary) to begin the subject line with "Off Topic" or "OT".  

Of course, not all members of this list are in perfect agreement on the appropriateness of posting general questions (that are completely unrelated to SPSS) here.  But one reason you might consider using a more general forum for that type of question is that you'll get responses from a wider range of people, many of whom do not use SPSS.  That can be advantageous.  

HTH.


shududy wrote
Ok, guys thanks for the responses :)

First of all, my native language is not English, so there might be some grammar mistakes or misunderstandings on my post.

Actually I wrote here because I thought this mail list was for students who help each other. It looks like people help each other, but they are mostly experienced or academic guys. Just like you, I suppose.

So, when I first read the responses, I thought "Ow, well well, it looks like they are just giving me some advices about the greatness of searching, on Google." Then I did it, mean it. And found some web sites about the information I was looking for. It was helpful, but I could not be sure about the correctness of the knowledge. It was mainly in Turkish, so posting those to here would not be helpful.

Anyways, I found that Colleretion Analysis mostly worked for me. Chi-square was another topic. And I also found that Individual group T-Test was also useful for me. However, I have a question for this method (a real one ;)

On the sample file, there are two sections for the income. One of them is categorised (so poor, average, rich etc..) and the other one is like this (700 $, 1260 $...) From your point of view, which one is more suitible for a Individual group T-Test? I am confused on that. I called one of my friends and he was also confused on that.

Thanks for your help and support :)

Sinan
--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Art Kendall
In reply to this post by shududy
How do you think those 2 ways of operationalizing income  relate to the underlying construct of income?

Do you know what it means to "slip between the horns of a dilemma"?  
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants
On 4/13/2013 5:39 PM, shududy [via SPSSX Discussion] wrote:
Ok, guys thanks for the responses :)

First of all, my native language is not English, so there might be some grammar mistakes or misunderstandings on my post.

Actually I wrote here because I thought this mail list was for students who help each other. It looks like people help each other, but they are mostly experienced or academic guys. Just like you, I suppose.

So, when I first read the responses, I thought "Ow, well well, it looks like they are just giving me some advices about the greatness of searching, on Google." Then I did it, mean it. And found some web sites about the information I was looking for. It was helpful, but I could not be sure about the correctness of the knowledge. It was mainly in Turkish, so posting those to here would not be helpful.

Anyways, I found that Colleretion Analysis mostly worked for me. Chi-square was another topic. And I also found that Individual group T-Test was also useful for me. However, I have a question for this method (a real one ;)

On the sample file, there are two sections for the income. One of them is categorised (so poor, average, rich etc..) and the other one is like this (700 $, 1260 $...) From your point of view, which one is more suitible for a Individual group T-Test? I am confused on that. I called one of my friends and he was also confused on that.

Thanks for your help and support :)

Sinan


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719461.html
To start a new topic under SPSSX Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SPSSX Discussion, click here.
NAML

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

shududy
Hmm, No. I could not get what do you mean... I have no background on statistics or SPSS. Just a finance student who wants to survive with least effort and knowledge from this lesson :)

If you have some sources to offer for me, as long as they are practical and down to earth, I am willing to study on it.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

David Marso
Administrator
"Just a finance student who wants to survive with least effort and knowledge..."
Sound like you are just about ready to be a koolaid sucking member of the corporate culture!
Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.
---
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis."
Cum es damnatorum possederunt porcos iens ut salire off sanguinum cliff in abyssum?"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

John F Hall
In reply to this post by shududy

If you want to learn SPSS start with my site.  There are no statistics yet, but there's a page with links to some very good tutorials

 

 

 

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of shududy
Sent: 14 April 2013 13:42
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

 

Hmm, No. I could not get what do you mean... I have no background on statistics or SPSS. Just a finance student who wants to survive with least effort and knowledge from this lesson :)

 

If you have some sources to offer for me, as long as they are practical and down to earth, I am willing to study on it.

 

 

 

--

View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719467.html

Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

 

=====================

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

John F Hall
In reply to this post by shududy

 

If you seriously want to learn to work in SPSS start with my site.  There are no statistics yet, but there's a page with links to some very good tutorials http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/spss-intros-and-tutorials.html

 

John F Hall (Mr)

[Retired academic survey researcher]

 

Email:   [hidden email] 

Website: www.surveyresearch.weebly.com

Start page:  www.surveyresearch.weebly.com/spss-without-tears.html

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of shududy
Sent: 14 April 2013 13:42
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

 

Hmm, No. I could not get what do you mean... I have no background on statistics or SPSS. Just a finance student who wants to survive with least effort and knowledge from this lesson :)

 

If you have some sources to offer for me, as long as they are practical and down to earth, I am willing to study on it.

 

 

 

--

View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719467.html

Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

 

=====================

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Derek Cosby
John this is very usefull.  I just got SPSS student version, thanks.

All this site has a lot of great information for beginners.

Derek Cosby



On Apr 14, 2013, at 9:53 AM, John F Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

 

If you seriously want to learn to work in SPSS start with my site.  There are no statistics yet, but there's a page with links to some very good tutorials http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/spss-intros-and-tutorials.html

 

John F Hall (Mr)

[Retired academic survey researcher]

 

Email:   [hidden email] 

Website: www.surveyresearch.weebly.com

Start page:  www.surveyresearch.weebly.com/spss-without-tears.html

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of shududy
Sent: 14 April 2013 13:42
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

 

Hmm, No. I could not get what do you mean... I have no background on statistics or SPSS. Just a finance student who wants to survive with least effort and knowledge from this lesson :)

 

If you have some sources to offer for me, as long as they are practical and down to earth, I am willing to study on it.

 

 

 

--

View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719467.html

Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

 

=====================

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

John F Hall

Derek

 

Thanks for the positive feedback.

 

As far as I know the student version doesn’t allow syntax: stupid, but it’s distributed by Prentice-Hall, not IBM-SPSS. 

 

See: http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/survey-analysis-workshop-spss.html  

 

Gradpack has everything I use.  However, even if you can’t use syntax, you can still enjoy the logic and fun of the course.

 

John

 

 

John F Hall (Mr)

[Retired academic survey researcher]

 

Email:   [hidden email] 

Website: www.surveyresearch.weebly.com

Start page:  www.surveyresearch.weebly.com/spss-without-tears.html

  

 

 

 

 

 

From: Derek Cosby [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 15 April 2013 15:39
To: John F Hall
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

 

John this is very usefull.  I just got SPSS student version, thanks.

 

All this site has a lot of great information for beginners.

Derek Cosby

 

 


On Apr 14, 2013, at 9:53 AM, John F Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

 

If you seriously want to learn to work in SPSS start with my site.  There are no statistics yet, but there's a page with links to some very good tutorials http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/spss-intros-and-tutorials.html

 

John F Hall (Mr)

[Retired academic survey researcher]

 

Email:   [hidden email]  

Website: www.surveyresearch.weebly.com

Start page:  www.surveyresearch.weebly.com/spss-without-tears.html

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of shududy
Sent: 14 April 2013 13:42
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

 

Hmm, No. I could not get what do you mean... I have no background on statistics or SPSS. Just a finance student who wants to survive with least effort and knowledge from this lesson :)

 

If you have some sources to offer for me, as long as they are practical and down to earth, I am willing to study on it.

 

 

 

--

View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/SPSS-Beginner-Collerate-or-Chi-Square-Analysis-tp5719452p5719467.html

Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

 

=====================

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis

Zuluaga, Juan
In reply to this post by shududy
Shududy,

if you want to make the big bucks in Finance, you better understand Correlation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversification_%28finance%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_portfolio_theory
http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/guest/BP-120509-Diversification.php




-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: SPSS Beginner - Collerate or Chi-Square Analysis


[...]I have no background on statistics or SPSS. Just a finance student [...]

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD