Re: Kappa, missing rows/colums

Placide-2
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:15:48 GMT, Hans Kingma <[hidden email].NL_>
wrote:

>Hi, I'm trying to calculate a Cohens Kappa on two observers. The problem is
>that they didn't used all the values available so the crosstab isn't
>square. I try to specify an integer mode but didn't succeed: the missing
>columns and rows aren't displayed and so isn't the Kappa.
>
>Someone got a clue?
>
>greetings
>hans
>
>PS. the command I use is:
>
>CROSSTABS VARIABLES=fcomiscr (1,10) hcomiscr (1,10)
>  /TABLES=fcomiscr  BY hcomiscr
>  /FORMAT= AVALUE TABLES
>  /STATISTIC=CORR KAPPA
>  /CELLS= COUNT .
>
>--
>Please remove the last _ from my reply to address when replying

This link is no longer working.
http://www.spss.com/tech/macros/Nskappa.html.
Could somebody help with the computation of Kappa when the crosstab is not
squared.
Thanks
Placide

Re: Kappa, missing rows/colums

P.van Groenestijn
To calculate Kappa when the crosstab is not squared, you can use a macro
I wrote in 2006.
This Macro and some notes and references can be found on Levesque's site:
http://www.spsstools.net/SampleSyntax.htm
Please scroll to the header "Matrix" .

Best Regard,
Pieter van Groenestijn

RadboudUniversiteit Nijmegen
Faculteit Sociale Wetenschappen
Research Technische OndersteuningsGroep
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4.00.51
tel: 024-3612035
fax: 024-3612351
email: [hidden email]
hp: http://www.ru.nl/fsw/rtog/

Placide wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:15:48 GMT, Hans Kingma <[hidden email].NL_>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi, I'm trying to calculate a Cohens Kappa on two observers. The problem is
>> that they didn't used all the values available so the crosstab isn't
>> square. I try to specify an integer mode but didn't succeed: the missing
>> columns and rows aren't displayed and so isn't the Kappa.
>>
>> Someone got a clue?
>>
>> greetings
>> hans
>>
>> PS. the command I use is:
>>
>> CROSSTABS VARIABLES=fcomiscr (1,10) hcomiscr (1,10)
>>  /TABLES=fcomiscr  BY hcomiscr
>>  /FORMAT= AVALUE TABLES
>>  /STATISTIC=CORR KAPPA
>>  /CELLS= COUNT .
>>
>> --
>> Please remove the last _ from my reply to address when replying
>>

> This link is no longer working.
> http://www.spss.com/tech/macros/Nskappa.html.
> Could somebody help with the computation of Kappa when the crosstab is not
> squared.
> Thanks
> Placide

Re: Kappa, missing rows/colums

SPSS Support-2

Hi Placide,

Apologies for the moving links. The link http://support.spss.com/ProductsExt/SPSS/Documentation/Statistics/index.html has links to the macros available from our macro library, including the nskappa macro.

David Nichols
SPSS, an IBM Company

From: Placide <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: 02/01/2010 02:32 PM
Subject: Re: Kappa, missing rows/colums
Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>

wrote:

>Hi, I'm trying to calculate a Cohens Kappa on two observers. The problem is
>that they didn't used all the values available so the crosstab isn't
>square. I try to specify an integer mode but didn't succeed: the missing
>columns and rows aren't displayed and so isn't the Kappa.
>
>Someone got a clue?
>
>greetings
>hans
>
>PS. the command I use is:
>
>CROSSTABS VARIABLES=fcomiscr (1,10) hcomiscr (1,10)
>  /TABLES=fcomiscr  BY hcomiscr
>  /FORMAT= AVALUE TABLES
>  /STATISTIC=CORR KAPPA
>  /CELLS= COUNT .
>
>--
>Please remove the last _ from my reply to address when replying

This link is no longer working.
http://www.spss.com/tech/macros/Nskappa.html.
Could somebody help with the computation of Kappa when the crosstab is not
squared.
Thanks
Placide

Re: Kappa, missing rows/colums

David, is a macro necessary?  In the two-rater case, one can simply use the integer mode for CROSSTABS, can they not?  Here's an example using data from http://www.john-uebersax.com/stat/saskappa.htm#ex1.

data list list /r1 r2 r3 (3f2.0).
begin data
1 2 1
1 2 1
1 2 1
1 2 2
1 3 2
2 2 2
2 2 1
2 2 2
2 2 2
2 2 2
2 2 2
2 2 1
2 2 2
3 3 2
3 2 2
3 3 2
3 3 1
3 3 2
3 3 2
end data.

crosstabs r1 by r2 / stat = kappa.

* Table is not square, so kappa is not computed.
* Now use INTEGER mode to ensure table is square .

crosstabs VARIABLES = r1 r2(1,3)/
 table = r1 by r2 / stat = kappa.

Cheers,
Bruce

SPSS Support-2 wrote
Hi Placide,

Apologies for the moving links. The link
http://support.spss.com/ProductsExt/SPSS/Documentation/Statistics/index.html
has links to the macros available from our macro library, including the
nskappa macro.

David Nichols
SPSS, an IBM Company

From:
Placide <plpobanzaou@YAHOO.COM>
To:
SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Date:
02/01/2010 02:32 PM
Re: Kappa, missing rows/colums
Sent by:
"SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:15:48 GMT, Hans Kingma <kingma@EDTE.UTWENTE.NL_>
wrote:

>Hi, I'm trying to calculate a Cohens Kappa on two observers. The problem
is
>that they didn't used all the values available so the crosstab isn't
>square. I try to specify an integer mode but didn't succeed: the missing
>columns and rows aren't displayed and so isn't the Kappa.
>
>Someone got a clue?
>
>greetings
>hans
>
>PS. the command I use is:
>
>CROSSTABS VARIABLES=fcomiscr (1,10) hcomiscr (1,10)
>  /TABLES=fcomiscr  BY hcomiscr
>  /FORMAT= AVALUE TABLES
>  /STATISTIC=CORR KAPPA
>  /CELLS= COUNT .
>
>--
>Please remove the last _ from my reply to address when replying

This link is no longer working.
http://www.spss.com/tech/macros/Nskappa.html.
Could somebody help with the computation of Kappa when the crosstab is not
squared.
Thanks
Placide

AW: Kappa, missing rows/colums

Bailer Harald
Hello,
the question of a non-square table struggles me at the moment, and I was happy that recently an answer was given on the list. Great!
But to my disappointment Bruce Weaver's solution does not work. Running the syntax with data etc as provided leads in both cases with this message: "Kappa statistics cannot be computed.They require a symmetric 2-way table in which the values of the first variable match the values of the second variable".
It seems as if the integer mode does not work. Any ideas what could be the point I'm missing? I'm using SPSS for windows release 11.0.1.
Thanks
Harald Bailer

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----