Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

Matthew Reeder
Hey folks,

I'm currently running SPSS 17.  I've only recently started using 17 (was on 14 before) when I purchased a new computer.  I find the exporting capabilities in 17 to be horrible (actually, Output, in general, is very clunky compared to older versions of SPSS in how it handles graphics, etc. - how is it that it got WORSE?).  More specifically, I can't even export a correlation matrix from Output into xls or HTML format without SPSS locking up (after 10 minutes of chugging away, getting no where).  This was never an issue for me in older versions of SPSS, and should not be an issue on a fairly new computer.

I don't check on here very often, so I'm not sure if this question has been raised before (if so, my apologies for the ignorance).  My question is, is this still an issue in PASW 18, or no?  I have the ability to upgrade to 18, and this would be a major factor in me doing so, because it's completely preventing me for doing my work.

Matt

Re: Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

aschoff
Hi,

from my experience upgrading to 18 is actually of no much use. It might be possible that some things are getting better (I am not sure about the specific functionality you mentioned). But definitely there are also seem to be new bugs in 18 which are not there in 17.01. So for example on a collegues computer with 18 she was not able to display the labels of variables in a chart. In 17 it worked just fine with the same data set.

I am using 17.01 tried to learn about the existing bugs and tried to live with it.

Rob

On 16.12.2009, at 16:28, Matthew Reeder wrote:

[...]

Felix-Robinson Aschoff
Information Management Research Group
Department of Informatics
University of Zurich
Binzmuehlestrasse 14
CH-8050 Zurich, Switzerland

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Phone: +41 (0)44 635 6690
Fax: +41 (0)44 635 6809
Room: 2.D.11
http://www.ifi.uzh.ch/im

Re: Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

Lemon, John S.

I was a beta tester for 18, actually I have been beta testing for about the last five or six versions, and I found that 18 was one of the most stable betas I have tested. In addition now that I am using 18 exclusively I have found that it is a great improvement over 17 as far as speed and appearance is concerned.

I haven’t encountered the problem with labels not being displayed on charts and all the syntax files which run routine daily jobs transferred to 18 with no problems. If this is reproducible then I feel that you should generate the evidence and raise it as a query with SPSS who will be able to provide either a work round or investigate whether a patch can be produced to resolve it.

Best Wishes

John S. Lemon

DIT ( Directorate of Information Technology ) - Student Liaison Officer

University of Aberdeen

Edward Wright Building: Room G86a ( Please note new room )

Tel:  +44 1224 273350

Fax: +44 1224 273372

Diary ( Free / Busy )

Re: Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

Daniel Robertson
I concur with John -- the 18 beta was quite stable and in using the 18 release daily I've found it to be noticeably faster and more stable than 16 or 17, and in many ways faster than 15. I still might call it 'quirky' but I have not found it any more buggy than any other piece of complex software I use.

Dan R

--
Daniel Robertson
Senior Research and Planning Associate
Institutional Research and Planning
Cornell University / irp.cornell.edu

Re: Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

ViAnn Beadle

Statistics 18 is significantly faster generating output and is worth the upgrade.

All software has defects in it—but most defects are very specific and usually caused by  the interaction of uncommon conditions. That’s why it’s really hard to track them down. When you find such a defect, it is in your best interests to report this to SPSS.

SPSS has just released the 18.01 patch. I have the description of the fixes if anybody is interested in looking over the list. I don’t see anything about the absence of variable labels in a chart on that list.

Re: Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

Eva Goldwater
I have heard some reports of great improvement in speed of PASW 18 over
17. One user at my university says "the delay in generating reports has
been totally eliminated. The difference is amazing, whereas a lengthy
means table would literally take hours to generate—it is now almost
immediate." Interestingly, I myself have not noticed a marked difference
in speed. Sporadically, I get "Processing..." message in output window
indefinitely. If I re-run the same thing later, it will show up without
any delay. I had the same issue with 16 & 17. On the other hand, I have
not encountered any problem with exporting output to .xls.

So I'd be interested in other users' experiences.

--
Eva Goldwater                   email: [hidden email]
Biostatistics Consulting        Phone: (413) 545-2949

Re: Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

Mike
I have been using SPSS for a long time in both research and
in classroom teaching and over the past couple of years have
had to deal with "forced" changes in the version of SPSS
used in classroom.  So, the hardware platform has been
stable (aging Dell PCs running XP Professional) and we've
shifted from SPSS version 15 to 16 to 18 over the course
of the past year or so.  Since I run analyses in class (procedures
ranging from descriptives and frequencies to t-tests and GLM)
I am often concerned with an analysis taking up class time.
I appears to me that with each new version of SPSS, the
wait time for an analysis, even a simple one, has increased.
Whereas in the past I could expect a result immediately,
I now have to wait for the "processing" to finish.  The wait
time has become more noticeable to me because I now
have to talk to the class while the processing is going on
while in the past I could start reviewing the output.

The administration forced these changes on the instructors
and we were not asked for our input or feedback.  Given
the choice, I would would probably have stuck with ver15.
This is why when someone suggests a Python workaround
for a problem, I laugh/cry because I wonder how I am
going to tell the IT guys to install and configure it on the PC
at the instructor's desk and all the PCs that the students use.
Since these classes are used by other instructors who probably
don't have the need for Python (the courses taught are
different types of experimental psychology laboratories),
it wouldn't appear to be a justifiable request.

-Mike Palij
New York University
[hidden email]

>I have heard some reports of great improvement in speed of PASW 18 over
> 17. One user at my university says "the delay in generating reports has
> been totally eliminated. The difference is amazing, whereas a lengthy
> means table would literally take hours to generate—it is now almost
> immediate." Interestingly, I myself have not noticed a marked difference
> in speed. Sporadically, I get "Processing..." message in output window
> indefinitely. If I re-run the same thing later, it will show up without
> any delay. I had the same issue with 16 & 17. On the other hand, I have
> not encountered any problem with exporting output to .xls.
>
> So I'd be interested in other users' experiences.
>
> --
> Eva Goldwater                   email: [hidden email]
> Biostatistics Consulting        Phone: (413) 545-2949
> 418 Arnold House                Fax:   (413) 545-1645
> 715 North Pleasant Street
> University of Massachusetts
> Amherst, MA 01003-9304

Re: Question about whether to upgrade ... (running 17)

Francien Berndsen

I think it totally depends on your computer hardware and windows version.

Last week I edited a syntax which I’ve used before with 15 and now I have 18. The spss-file I use is very large (2 GB). The last time with 15 it took almost an hour to run the whole syntax, but with 18 only half an hour! I used the same computer, but before with Windows XP (and spss 15), now with Windows 7 64-bit (and spss 18 64 bit). Spss now use my 4 GB Ram totally, I wasn’t even able to do something else.

If somebody knows how to tell spss to use less memory instead of whole 4 GB, so that I can do something else, tell me! I’m very happy that spss 18 is so much faster, but not being able to do something else is a bit annoying.

Francien