Quantcast

OT: Displaying the median-symbol (x with tilde) in MS-Word

OT: Displaying the median-symbol (x with tilde) in MS-Word

Walter Funk
Sorry for being a bit OT. But every time I have to report a median value
[computed with SPSS, of course ;-) ] in MS Word I don't know how to
display the according statistical symbol, the x with a tilde.

I bet someone out there has a straightforward solution for handling this
problem. I would appreciate if s/he would share the "trick".

Thanks
Walter

Dr. Walter Funk
Institut fuer Freie Berufe
an der Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
Marienstrasse 2

D-90402 Nuernberg
Germany

Tel: ++49 - (0)911 - 23 565-32
Fax: ++49 - (0)911 - 23 565-50
E-Mail: [hidden email]
http://www.ifb.uni-erlangen.de

Amtsgericht Nürnberg VR 841

Re: OT: Displaying the median-symbol (x with tilde) in MS-Word

Niklas Wagman

Use the Microsoft Word Equation Editor, or any other equation editor

(you most likely need to download and install it)

/niklas

> Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:06:47 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: OT: Displaying the median-symbol (x with tilde) in MS-Word
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Sorry for being a bit OT. But every time I have to report a median value
> [computed with SPSS, of course ;-) ] in MS Word I don't know how to
> display the according statistical symbol, the x with a tilde.
>
> I bet someone out there has a straightforward solution for handling this
> problem. I would appreciate if s/he would share the "trick".
>
> Thanks
> Walter

> Dr. Walter Funk
> Institut fuer Freie Berufe
> an der Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
> Marienstrasse 2
>
> D-90402 Nuernberg
> Germany
>
> Tel: ++49 - (0)911 - 23 565-32
> Fax: ++49 - (0)911 - 23 565-50
> E-Mail: [hidden email]
> http://www.ifb.uni-erlangen.de
>
> Amtsgericht Nürnberg VR 841

Re: OT: Displaying the median-symbol (x with tilde) in MS-Word

Peck, Jon
You can enter this directly in Word without the equation editor.  Display quality may vary with different fonts.

You have to use the Unicode "combining tilde" - code 0303.
Enter x 0303  (with the space)
and press alt-x

HTH,

Use the Microsoft Word Equation Editor, or any other equation editor

(you most likely need to download and install it)

/niklas

> Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:06:47 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: OT: Displaying the median-symbol (x with tilde) in MS-Word
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Sorry for being a bit OT. But every time I have to report a median value
> [computed with SPSS, of course ;-) ] in MS Word I don't know how to
> display the according statistical symbol, the x with a tilde.
>
> I bet someone out there has a straightforward solution for handling this
> problem. I would appreciate if s/he would share the "trick".
>
> Thanks
> Walter

> Dr. Walter Funk
> Institut fuer Freie Berufe
> an der Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
> Marienstrasse 2
>
> D-90402 Nuernberg
> Germany
>
> Tel: ++49 - (0)911 - 23 565-32
> Fax: ++49 - (0)911 - 23 565-50
> E-Mail: [hidden email]
> http://www.ifb.uni-erlangen.de
>
> Amtsgericht Nürnberg VR 841

Re: OT: Displaying the median-symbol (x with tilde) in MS-Word <== best solutions (in my opinion)

Walter Funk
Thanks for all the answers via the list or private mail. We have two
reasonable alternatives now:

1.
Jon's solution with the little modification that with non-US (German?)
keyboards you have to press Alt-c! After this in Office 2002 you have to
move the cursor via the "left arrow"-key one hit to the left and delete
the blank. This "moves" the tilde above the x. After this move the
cursor via the "right arrow"- key one hit to the right and you can
continue writing your text.

2.
Again in Office 2002 in WORD go via "Insert" to "Symbols" (my
translation from German buttons etc to English). There insert the code
"0303" into the appropriate text box. This lets the program jump to the
tilde-sign and gives it a blue background. Hit the button "adapt
keyboard", move the cursor to "New keyboard combination" and press the
Alt-key and whatever letter-key that is appropriate for you. We use the
"x". Then press "assign" and "close". In your WORD-text you then write
the x and after this only press the two keys ALT and x to place the
tilde right above the x.

HTH other users, too.
Walter