Numeric dates

John F Hall

I have a survey with dates coded as numeric, eg:

10129

3039

4039

14049

13049

The months are the pairs of digits before the final 9.  How can I dispose of the final digit 9 and convert the remaining three or four digits to dd:mm format?

John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)

[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:          [hidden email]

Website:     Journeys in Survey Research

Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)

Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Re: Numeric dates

Jon Peck
John,

Your input has day of month and month number but not year.  There is no SPSS date/time format for that.  If you just want to convert those values to a string, you can do this.

string #day #month result(a5).
compute #eom = char.length(d) - 1.
compute #day = char.substr(d, 1,#eom-2).
compute #month = char.substr(d, #eom-1, 2).
compute result = concat(#day, ":",#month).

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM, John F Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have a survey with dates coded as numeric, eg:

10129

3039

4039

14049

13049

The months are the pairs of digits before the final 9.  How can I dispose of the final digit 9 and convert the remaining three or four digits to dd:mm format?

John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)

[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:          [hidden email]

Website:     Journeys in Survey Research

Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)

Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Re: Numeric dates

John F Hall

Jon

This was a "recue job" I did in 1991. The data were collected from Sep1990 to June 1991, so it will be clear from the month which year applies: the final digit 9 can be ignored.  The month comprises the two digits before the final 9 and the day comprises the remaining single or double digit at the beginning.  I found a solution by creating an intermediate variable:

compute daymonth = trunc (v118/10).

This produces valid values in the range 101 (1st Jan) to 3110 (31st Oct) plus weird values outside that range, but that is because of poor data collection and/or data entry.

I then derived day, month and year with:

compute day = trunc (daymonth/100).

recode daymonth (0 4 5 5909  thru hi =-1) /day (0 59 thru hi =-1).

missing values daymonth day (-1).

compute month =  daymonth - day * 100.

recode month (9 thru 12 = 1990) (1 thru 6 = 1991) into year.

formats day month year (f4.0).

list day month year /cases 5.

day month year

This will suffice for my purposes, but how would I turn this into a variable in dd-mm-yyyy date format?

Thanks in advance.

John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)

[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:          [hidden email]

Website:     Journeys in Survey Research

Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)

Re: Numeric dates

David Marso
Administrator
John, there are several "date aggregation" functions. They typically start
with DATE. and usually have an M a D and a Y in their name. Take a gander in
the FM for details!

John F Hall wrote

> Jon
>
> This was a "recue job" I did in 1991. The data were collected from Sep1990
> to June 1991, so it will be clear from the month which year applies: the
> final digit 9 can be ignored.  The month comprises the two digits before
> the final 9 and the day comprises the remaining single or double digit at
> the beginning.  I found a solution by creating an intermediate variable:
>

> compute daymonth = trunc (v118/10).
>

> This produces valid values in the range 101 (1st Jan) to 3110 (31st Oct)
> plus weird values outside that range, but that is because of poor data
> collection and/or data entry.
>

> I then derived day, month and year with:
>

> compute day = trunc (daymonth/100).
>
> recode daymonth (0 4 5 5909  thru hi =-1) /day (0 59 thru hi =-1).
>
> missing values daymonth day (-1).
>
> compute month =  daymonth - day * 100.
>
> recode month (9 thru 12 = 1990) (1 thru 6 = 1991) into year.
>
> formats day month year (f4.0).
>
> list day month year /cases 5.
>

> day month year

> This will suffice for my purposes, but how would I turn this into a
> variable in dd-mm-yyyy date format?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:           &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;

> johnfhall@

> Website:      &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt; Journeys in Survey
> Research
>
> Course:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.html&gt;
> Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
>
> Research:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-quality-of-life.html&gt;
> Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.
---
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis."
Cum es damnatorum possederunt porcos iens ut salire off sanguinum cliff in abyssum?"

Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.
---
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis."
Cum es damnatorum possederunt porcos iens ut salire off sanguinum cliff in abyssum?"

Re: Numeric dates

Ives, Melissa L
John,

Compute newdate=date.mdy(month,day,year).
Alter type newdate Date11.

Melissa

John, there are several "date aggregation" functions. They typically start with DATE. and usually have an M a D and a Y in their name. Take a gander in the FM for details!

John F Hall wrote

> Jon
>
> This was a "recue job" I did in 1991. The data were collected from
> Sep1990 to June 1991, so it will be clear from the month which year
> applies: the final digit 9 can be ignored.  The month comprises the
> two digits before the final 9 and the day comprises the remaining
> single or double digit at the beginning.  I found a solution by creating an intermediate variable:
>

> compute daymonth = trunc (v118/10).
>

> This produces valid values in the range 101 (1st Jan) to 3110 (31st
> Oct) plus weird values outside that range, but that is because of poor
> data collection and/or data entry.
>

> I then derived day, month and year with:
>

> compute day = trunc (daymonth/100).
>
> recode daymonth (0 4 5 5909  thru hi =-1) /day (0 59 thru hi =-1).
>
> missing values daymonth day (-1).
>
> compute month =  daymonth - day * 100.
>
> recode month (9 thru 12 = 1990) (1 thru 6 = 1991) into year.
>
> formats day month year (f4.0).
>
> list day month year /cases 5.
>

> day month year

> This will suffice for my purposes, but how would I turn this into a
> variable in dd-mm-yyyy date format?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:           &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;

> johnfhall@

> Website:      &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt; Journeys in Survey
> Research
>
> Course:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.h
> tml&gt;
> Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
>
> Research:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-qu
> ality-of-life.html&gt; Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

________________________________

This correspondence contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged; it is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this correspondence and completely dispose of the correspondence immediately. Please notify the sender if you have received this email in error. NOTE: Messages to or from the State of Connecticut domain may be subject to the Freedom of Information statutes and regulations.

Re: Numeric dates

John F Hall
Melissa
Thanks for that.  Your syntax wouldn't accept date11, so I modified it to:

compute newdate=date.dmy(day,month,year).
alter type newdate eDate11.
list newdate /cases 10.

. . and got:
 newdate
  1E+010
  1E+010
  1E+010
  1E+010
  1E+010
  1E+010
  1E+010
  1E+010
  1E+010
  1E+010

The Data Editor now has:
Day month year newdate
22 11 1990 12878611200
13 4 1991 12890880000
3 10 1990 12874291200
13 4 1991 12890880000

How do I get newdate converted to another variable which will list as:
22-Nov-1990
13-Apr-1991
  3-Oct-1990
13-Apr-1991

John

John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:          [hidden email]
Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Compute newdate=date.mdy(month,day,year).
Alter type newdate Date11.

Melissa

John, there are several "date aggregation" functions. They typically start
with DATE. and usually have an M a D and a Y in their name. Take a gander in
the FM for details!

John F Hall wrote
> Jon
>
> This was a "recue job" I did in 1991. The data were collected from
> Sep1990 to June 1991, so it will be clear from the month which year
> applies: the final digit 9 can be ignored.  The month comprises the
> two digits before the final 9 and the day comprises the remaining
> single or double digit at the beginning.  I found a solution by creating
an intermediate variable:

> compute daymonth = trunc (v118/10).
>

> This produces valid values in the range 101 (1st Jan) to 3110 (31st
> Oct) plus weird values outside that range, but that is because of poor
> data collection and/or data entry.
>

> I then derived day, month and year with:
>

> compute day = trunc (daymonth/100).
>
> recode daymonth (0 4 5 5909  thru hi =-1) /day (0 59 thru hi =-1).
>
> missing values daymonth day (-1).
>
> compute month =  daymonth - day * 100.
>
> recode month (9 thru 12 = 1990) (1 thru 6 = 1991) into year.
>
> formats day month year (f4.0).
>
> list day month year /cases 5.
>

> day month year

> This will suffice for my purposes, but how would I turn this into a
> variable in dd-mm-yyyy date format?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:           &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;

> johnfhall@

> Website:      &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt; Journeys in Survey
> Research
>
> Course:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.h
> tml&gt;
> Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
>
> Research:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-qu
> ality-of-life.html&gt; Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

David, Had a look in the FM.  None the wiser.  All I got was hundreds of
years with 0 cases.  Can't afford any more time.

John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:          [hidden email]
Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
Research:   Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

John, there are several "date aggregation" functions. They typically start
with DATE. and usually have an M a D and a Y in their name. Take a gander in
the FM for details!

John F Hall wrote
> Jon
>
> This was a "recue job" I did in 1991. The data were collected from
> Sep1990 to June 1991, so it will be clear from the month which year
> applies: the final digit 9 can be ignored.  The month comprises the
> two digits before the final 9 and the day comprises the remaining
> single or double digit at the beginning.  I found a solution by creating
an intermediate variable:

> compute daymonth = trunc (v118/10).
>

> This produces valid values in the range 101 (1st Jan) to 3110 (31st
> Oct) plus weird values outside that range, but that is because of poor
> data collection and/or data entry.
>

> I then derived day, month and year with:
>

> compute day = trunc (daymonth/100).
>
> recode daymonth (0 4 5 5909  thru hi =-1) /day (0 59 thru hi =-1).
>
> missing values daymonth day (-1).
>
> compute month =  daymonth - day * 100.
>
> recode month (9 thru 12 = 1990) (1 thru 6 = 1991) into year.
>
> formats day month year (f4.0).
>
> list day month year /cases 5.
>

> day month year

> This will suffice for my purposes, but how would I turn this into a
> variable in dd-mm-yyyy date format?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:           &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;

> johnfhall@

> Website:      &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt; Journeys in Survey
> Research
>
> Course:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.h
> tml&gt;
> Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
>
> Research:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-qu
> ality-of-life.html&gt; Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Solved it using the Date/Time wizard: saved the syntax from PASTE:

* Date and Time Wizard: intdate.
COMPUTE  intdate=DATE.DMY(day, month, year).
VARIABLE LABELS  intdate "Date of kinterview".
VARIABLE LEVEL  intdate (SCALE).
FORMATS  intdate (DATE11).
VARIABLE WIDTH  intdate(11).
EXECUTE.

In the Data Editor they appear as:
22-Nov-1990
13-Apr-1991
03-Oct-1990
13-Apr-1991
27-Jan-1991
21-Jan-1991
03-May-1991
08-May-1991
09-May-1991
12-May-1991

Bingo (not)!

list intdate /cases 10.

    intdate
22-NOV-1990
13-APR-1991
03-OCT-1990
13-APR-1991
27-JAN-1991
21-JAN-1991
03-MAY-1991
08-MAY-1991
09-MAY-1991
12-MAY-1991
Number of cases read:  10    Number of cases listed:  10

Why the ugly UPPER CASE?

John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
[Retired academic survey researcher]

Email:          [hidden email]
Website:     Journeys in Survey Research
Course:       Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)

John, there are several "date aggregation" functions. They typically start
with DATE. and usually have an M a D and a Y in their name. Take a gander in
the FM for details!

John F Hall wrote
> Jon
>
> This was a "recue job" I did in 1991. The data were collected from
> Sep1990 to June 1991, so it will be clear from the month which year
> applies: the final digit 9 can be ignored.  The month comprises the
> two digits before the final 9 and the day comprises the remaining
> single or double digit at the beginning.  I found a solution by creating
an intermediate variable:

> compute daymonth = trunc (v118/10).
>

> This produces valid values in the range 101 (1st Jan) to 3110 (31st
> Oct) plus weird values outside that range, but that is because of poor
> data collection and/or data entry.
>

> I then derived day, month and year with:
>

> compute day = trunc (daymonth/100).
>
> recode daymonth (0 4 5 5909  thru hi =-1) /day (0 59 thru hi =-1).
>
> missing values daymonth day (-1).
>
> compute month =  daymonth - day * 100.
>
> recode month (9 thru 12 = 1990) (1 thru 6 = 1991) into year.
>
> formats day month year (f4.0).
>
> list day month year /cases 5.
>

> day month year

> This will suffice for my purposes, but how would I turn this into a
> variable in dd-mm-yyyy date format?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:           &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;

> johnfhall@

> Website:      &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt; Journeys in Survey
> Research
>
> Course:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.h
> tml&gt;
> Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
>
> Research:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-qu
> ality-of-life.html&gt; Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Robert L
If the UPPER CASE is disturbing, why not stick with SDATE10?

*********************************************************=*
DATA LIST LIST /date1(F5).
BEGIN DATA
10129
3039
4039
14049
13049
END DATA.
DATASET NAME date_conv.

ALTER TYPE date1(A5).

STRING #day #month(A5) /*David's suggestion*/.
COMPUTE #eom = CHAR.LENGTH(date1) - 1.
COMPUTE #day = CHAR.SUBSTR(date1, 1,#eom-2).
COMPUTE #month = CHAR.SUBSTR(date1, #eom-1, 2).

DO IF RANGE(NUMBER(#month,F2),9,12).
COMPUTE date2= DATE.DMY(NUMBER(#day,F2),NUMBER(#month,F2),1990).
ELSE IF RANGE(NUMBER(#month,F2),1,6).
COMPUTE date2=DATE.DMY(NUMBER(#day,F2),NUMBER(#month,F2),1991).
END IF.

EXECUTE.

FORMATS date2(SDATE10).

John, there are several "date aggregation" functions. They typically start
with DATE. and usually have an M a D and a Y in their name. Take a gander in
the FM for details!

John F Hall wrote
> Jon
>
> This was a "recue job" I did in 1991. The data were collected from
> Sep1990 to June 1991, so it will be clear from the month which year
> applies: the final digit 9 can be ignored.  The month comprises the
> two digits before the final 9 and the day comprises the remaining
> single or double digit at the beginning.  I found a solution by creating
an intermediate variable:

> compute daymonth = trunc (v118/10).
>

> This produces valid values in the range 101 (1st Jan) to 3110 (31st
> Oct) plus weird values outside that range, but that is because of poor
> data collection and/or data entry.
>

> I then derived day, month and year with:
>

> compute day = trunc (daymonth/100).
>
> recode daymonth (0 4 5 5909  thru hi =-1) /day (0 59 thru hi =-1).
>
> missing values daymonth day (-1).
>
> compute month =  daymonth - day * 100.
>
> recode month (9 thru 12 = 1990) (1 thru 6 = 1991) into year.
>
> formats day month year (f4.0).
>
> list day month year /cases 5.
>

> day month year

> This will suffice for my purposes, but how would I turn this into a
> variable in dd-mm-yyyy date format?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> John F Hall  MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)
>
> [Retired academic survey researcher]
>

> Email:           &lt;mailto:

> johnfhall@

> &gt;

> johnfhall@

> Website:      &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/&gt; Journeys in Survey
> Research
>
> Course:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/1-survey-analysis-workshop-spss.h
> tml&gt;
> Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)
>
> Research:
> &lt;http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/3-subjective-social-indicators-qu
> ality-of-life.html&gt; Subjective Social Indicators (Quality of Life)

Robert Lundqvist