Need help tracking down simple error

Mike Donatello
I have some VERY SIMPLE transformation syntax which is generating errors. Granted, I've been away from SPSS for a while, but the following seems like it should work:

COMPUTE Age = $SYSMIS .
DO REPEAT #C = 1 TO 101 .
IF (Q2 EQ #C ) COMPUTE Age = #C + 16 .
END REPEAT PRINT .

Instead, I get the following output:

> COMPUTE Age = $SYSMIS .

> DO REPEAT #C = 1 TO 101 .
> IF (Q2 EQ #C ) COMPUTE Age = #C + 16 .
> END REPEAT PRINT .
>
> 1142  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ 1 ) COMPUTE Age = 1 + 16
> >Error # 4382 in column 35.  Text: Age
> >An equals sign was not found when expected after a target variable in a
> >COMPUTE command.
> >Execution of this command stops.
> 1143  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ   2 ) COMPUTE Age =   2 + 16
> >Error # 4382 in column 37.  Text: Age
> >An equals sign was not found when expected after a target variable in a
> >COMPUTE command.
> >Execution of this command stops.
> 1144  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ   3 ) COMPUTE Age =   3 + 16

Now, I can PLAINLY see the intended equals sign after the target variable (Age). Can anyone spot where I goofed?

Thanks,

Mike Donatello

Re: Need help tracking down simple error

Rick Oliver-3
Remove COMPUTE from the IF statement.

Also, COMPUTE AGE=$SYSMIS is unnecessary. For any conditions not specified, it will set to system-missing.

Rick Oliver
Senior Information Developer
IBM Business Analytics (SPSS)
E-mail: [hidden email]

From:        Mike Donatello <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        05/23/2016 10:46 AM
Subject:        Need help tracking down simple error
Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>

I have some VERY SIMPLE transformation syntax which is generating errors. Granted, I've been away from SPSS for a while, but the following seems like it should work:

COMPUTE Age = $SYSMIS .
DO REPEAT #C = 1 TO 101 .
IF (Q2 EQ #C ) COMPUTE Age = #C + 16 .
END REPEAT PRINT .

Instead, I get the following output:

> COMPUTE Age = $SYSMIS .

> DO REPEAT #C = 1 TO 101 .
> IF (Q2 EQ #C ) COMPUTE Age = #C + 16 .
> END REPEAT PRINT .
>
> 1142  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ 1 ) COMPUTE Age = 1 + 16
> >Error # 4382 in column 35.  Text: Age
> >An equals sign was not found when expected after a target variable in a
> >COMPUTE command.
> >Execution of this command stops.
> 1143  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ   2 ) COMPUTE Age =   2 + 16
> >Error # 4382 in column 37.  Text: Age
> >An equals sign was not found when expected after a target variable in a
> >COMPUTE command.
> >Execution of this command stops.
> 1144  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ   3 ) COMPUTE Age =   3 + 16

Now, I can PLAINLY see the intended equals sign after the target variable (Age). Can anyone spot where I goofed?

Thanks,

Mike Donatello

Re: Need help tracking down simple error

Rich Ulrich
You have to admit that this error message is not well-conceived.

Is COMPUTE a legal name for a variable?  If not, then /that/  could be flagged.

If it is not 40 years to late to make COMPUTE an optional keyword in the IF command, something
should be done to clarify the actual mistake.  An error message should at least /state/ the
right idea, even if it may be obscure to a newbie. The actual message right now is obscure to
everyone who does not make the leap, that an IF statement may be called a COMPUTE statement
in an error message. Here is something that is somewhat awkward, but not deceptive --

An equals sign was not found when expected after a target variable "COMPUTE" in the
implicit-COMPUTE portion of an IF command.

--
Rich Ulrich

From:        Mike Donatello <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        05/23/2016 10:46 AM

Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 10:54:08 -0500
From: <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;oliverr@us.ibm.com&#39;);" target="_blank">oliverr@...
To: <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU&#39;);" target="_blank">SPSSX-L@...

E-mail: <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;oliverr@us.ibm.com&#39;);" target="_blank">oliverr@...

From:        Mike Donatello <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;mdonatello@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">mdonatello@...>
To:        <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU&#39;);" target="_blank">SPSSX-L@...
Date:        05/23/2016 10:46 AM
Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU&#39;);" target="_blank">SPSSX-L@...>

===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU&#39;);" target="_blank">LISTSERV@...(not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU&#39;);" target="_blank">LISTSERV@... (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD
===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU&#39;);" target="_blank">LISTSERV@... (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Re: Need help tracking down simple error

Mike Donatello

FYI, COMPUTE isn't supposed to be a variable name, but I tried the syntax first with the regular IF transformation structure and it gave me the same error. So, I thought maybe something had changed since v14 and I put the COMPUTE statement in there too.

It's always the simple stuff that gets you...

---
This message was sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.

Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 10:54:08 -0500
From: oliverr@us.ibm.com
To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

E-mail: oliverr@us.ibm.com

From:        Mike Donatello <mdonatello@gmail.com>
To:        SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Date:        05/23/2016 10:46 AM
Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

I have some VERY SIMPLE transformation syntax which is generating errors. Granted, I've been away from SPSS for a while, but the following seems like it should work:

COMPUTE Age = $SYSMIS .
DO REPEAT #C = 1 TO 101 .
IF (Q2 EQ #C ) COMPUTE Age = #C + 16 .
END REPEAT PRINT .

Instead, I get the following output:

> COMPUTE Age = $SYSMIS .

> DO REPEAT #C = 1 TO 101 .
> IF (Q2 EQ #C ) COMPUTE Age = #C + 16 .
> END REPEAT PRINT .
>
> 1142  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ 1 ) COMPUTE Age = 1 + 16
> >Error # 4382 in column 35.  Text: Age
> >An equals sign was not found when expected after a target variable in a
> >COMPUTE command.
> >Execution of this command stops.
> 1143  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ   2 ) COMPUTE Age =   2 + 16
> >Error # 4382 in column 37.  Text: Age
> >An equals sign was not found when expected after a target variable in a
> >COMPUTE command.
> >Execution of this command stops.
> 1144  0 +IF             (Q2 EQ   3 ) COMPUTE Age =   3 + 16

Now, I can PLAINLY see the intended equals sign after the target variable (Age). Can anyone spot where I goofed?

Thanks,

Mike Donatello

Re: Need help tracking down simple error

In order to avoid ever having a user assign sysmis to a variable I changed the first part of the syntax.

I have been after SPSS for decades to give a warning when a user assign sysmis.

The snippet below seems to work.

data list list/q2 (f3).
begin data
-1
0
1
5
10
11
end data.

COMPUTE Age = -1 .
missing values age (-1).
value labels age -1 'Q2 not in 1 to 10 range'.
DO REPEAT #C = 1 TO 10 .
IF (Q2 EQ #C )  Age = #C + 16 .
END REPEAT PRINT .
list.

Might you have something other than a space before the period at eh end of aline.

Re: Need help tracking down simple error

If Q2 takes positive integer values only, then you don't need to loop.  I believe the following (untested) will do the same thing as your code:

COMPUTE Age = -1 .
IF RANGE(Q2,1,101) Age = Q2 + 16.
MISSING VALUES age (-1).
VALUE LABELS age -1 'Q2 not in 1 to 101 range'.
DESCRIPTIVES Age.

Art Kendall wrote
[...]

David Marso
Why for crying out loud is this in a loop structure?
Only ONE of these cases can be true.
Why not just test it once and get it over with?

IF RANGE(Q2,1,10) age =SUM(Q2,16).

KISS!!!

Art Kendall wrote
[...]

Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.
---
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis."
Cum es damnatorum possederunt porcos iens ut salire off sanguinum cliff in abyssum?"

Re: Need help tracking down simple error

Mike Donatello

Thanks, all for the help. Obviously, I need a syntax refresher.

---

Mike Donatello, PhD
[hidden email]

From:        Mike Donatello <[hidden email]>