Quantcast

How to create an index with ranking question?

How to create an index with ranking question?

Craz_edmoon
Hey I am new to  SPSS and have needs to create an index with a ranking question...thing is I have no idea how to do that...

The question goes like this 'Rank the following factors according to how important it is to you, from 1-5, 1 being the most important and 5 being the most important factor'...

The five factors are as followed: Price, Quality, durability, design and comfort of using.

My groupmates and I wanted to find out how many people choose price as the most important factor, Quality as the most important factor, durability and so on...

Re: How to create an index with ranking question?

Art Kendall
You can get MULT RESPONSE frequencies and crosstabs. see <help>.

Please describe in more detail what you mean by an index.
Make up a few cases with an id variable and 5 variables for the 5 "factors" and a variable called want that show what you want the index to be.

On 7/21/2010 11:31 PM, Craz_edmoon wrote:
Hey I am new to  SPSS and have needs to create an index with a ranking
question...thing is I have no idea how to do that...

The question goes like this 'Rank the following factors according to how
important it is to you, from 1-5, 1 being the most important and 5 being the
most important factor'...

The five factors are as followed: Price, Quality, durability, design and
comfort of using.

My groupmates and I wanted to find out how many people choose price as the
most important factor, Quality as the most important factor, durability and
so on...

Re: How to create an index with ranking question?

John F Hall
Have you checked the frequencies for your original variables?

Open a new syntax file and write:

freq v1 to v5 .

or whatever your variables are called.

This looks like your homework: is it?

John F Hall       (retired survey researcher)

email:                [hidden email]

Thanks for offering the help...I am quite lost myself as I really did not understand what my tutor was trying to ask of us...

Re: How to create an index with ranking question?

Craz_edmoon
Thanks for the help...this is actually a group project. I ended up recoding the variables to find out which are the most important factors...I'm not sure if that's what my tutor wanted though...