Dude, where's my output?

vimothy
Hi all,

I did a bunch of analysis yesterday, but rather than copy everything down into my notes, I just saved the .spv output file. Today, I opened it up, but it's just a script. There is no output -- no tables, no statistics, no results, nada. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Re: Dude, where's my output?

Robert Jones
That will teach you to give your output files specific names related to the topic in hand and not to overwrite them.

to recover your processing, you could look at the journal log which will contain all the commands you used in your previous sessions and extract the parts that are relevant in order to rerun them.

the journal log for your specific setup can be found via the menu - edit, options, file locations.

Re: Dude, where's my output?

Turner, John E. (VADOC)
Ahh, the value of syntax..?

I did a bunch of analysis yesterday, but rather than copy everything down into my notes, I just saved the .spv output file. Today, I opened it up, but it's just a script. There is no output -- no tables, no statistics, no results, nada. Can anyone help? Thanks.

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Re: Dude, where's my output?

Robert Jones
As a further thought, my version of SPSS (v19) stores output by default in the last directory in which output was stored, rather than in the same directory as your working .sav file, so you might hunt around in your directories to see whether that happened in this case.

Re: Dude, where's my output?

Jon K Peck
The default location depends on your settings in the Files tab of Edit > Options.

Jon Peck (no "h") aka Kim
Senior Software Engineer, IBM
[hidden email]
phone: 720-342-5621

From:        Robert Jones <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email],
Date:        03/07/2014 08:50 AM
Subject:        Re: [SPSSX-L] Dude, where's my output?
Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>

As a further thought, my version of SPSS (v19) stores output by default in
the last directory in which output was stored, rather than in the same
directory as your working .sav file, so you might hunt around in your
directories to see whether that happened in this case.

Re: Dude, where's my output?

Albert-Jan Roskam
You can check the Journal file (.jnl) for a transcript of what you did. You can find the location of the journal file via Edit >> Options >> File locations.
Find the part of your analysis that you need in the jnl file, copy it into a syntax file, run and save it.

Regards,

Albert-Jan

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a

fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

I did a bunch of analysis yesterday, but rather than copy everything down into my notes, I just saved the .spv output file. Today, I opened it up, but it's just a script. There is no output -- no tables, no statistics, no results, nada. Can anyone help? Thanks.

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Re: Dude, where's my output?

David Marso
Hard to say what you did (or didn't do) .
Maybe the desired file is in the Recently Used Files?
Other than that? Journal spelunking time.

vimothy wrote
Hi all,

I did a bunch of analysis yesterday, but rather than copy everything down into my notes, I just saved the .spv output file. Today, I opened it up, but it's just a script. There is no output -- no tables, no statistics, no results, nada. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.
---
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis."
Cum es damnatorum possederunt porcos iens ut salire off sanguinum cliff in abyssum?"

Re: Dude, where's my output?

Rich Ulrich
Many people never knew about this, or they have forgotten it --

When you click on the Search field in Windows Explorer, it
gives you a drop-down menu, "Add a search filter",  which includes
"Date modified:"   You can select a day or a range.  I've used this
to find where some file got downloaded to.

In Win8, WE has been renamed -- File Explorer, I think.

--
Rich Ulrich

> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 06:01:14 -0700

> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Dude, where's my output?
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Hard to say what you did (or didn't do) .
> Maybe the desired file is in the Recently Used Files?
> Other than that? Journal spelunking time.
>

> vimothy wrote
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I did a bunch of analysis yesterday, but rather than copy everything down
> > into my notes, I just saved the .spv output file. Today, I opened it up,
> > but it's just a script. There is no output -- no tables, no statistics, no
> > results, nada. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Re: Dude, where's my output?

David Marso
Administrator
I was referring to the Recently used Files option on the SPSS File menu
Alt F-F for accelerator.
--
Rich Ulrich wrote