Cursor movement

Walker, Irwin
Message
Hi this is a first ever question.  I'm trying to speed up data entry.  When I enter data across a single case I press R-arrow.  When I enter into a drop-down box I have to press Enter, after which the cursor goes down, after which I have to press arrow twice to get back on track.  Is there a way to enter data into a choice field and have to the cursor go horizontal to the next box insteatd of down?

Hoping......

Thanks, Irwin

Irwin Walker MD
Professor of Medicine
McMaster University Medical Centre
1200 Main St West
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada, L8N 3Z5

Phone  905 521 2100  x76384
Fax       905 521 4971

Re: Cursor movement

Kylie Lange-3
Message

Hi Irwin,

Use Tab instead of Enter, and the cursor will go one cell to the immediate right.

Cheers,

Kylie.

Re: Cursor movement

Walker, Irwin wrote
Hi this is a first ever question.  I'm trying to speed up data entry.
When I enter data across a single case I press R-arrow.  When I enter
into a drop-down box I have to press Enter, after which the cursor goes
down, after which I have to press arrow twice to get back on track.  Is
there a way to enter data into a choice field and have to the cursor go
horizontal to the next box insteatd of down?

Hoping......

Thanks, Irwin
I don't enter data by hand into the SPSS data editor, so I had to make up a little example to try this.  Here are a couple observations.

1. The drop-down lists only appear when you have the toggle switch set to display value labels in the data file; and it appears that the only way to get the list to appear is by clicking with the mouse.  (I'm running SPSS 16.0.2 under Windoze XP, if that makes any difference).

2. When I do use the drop-down list, hitting Enter selects a value from the list, but does not move me away from that cell.  So I can press Enter to select, and R-arrow to move over one cell.  I never end up a row below.  From what you've said, your system is selecting a value and moving down a row with one press of Enter, is that right?

3. If you turn off the Value Labels toggle switch in the data editor (toolbar button with a little tag on it), then you won't get the drop-down lists, but you can avoid having to use the mouse, and the R-arrow key will work.  Tab will work too, as noted by Kylie; but it would be a lot handier (and quicker) if all the keys you need are in the vicinity of the numeric keypad, and if you could avoid using the mouse.

HTH.

Pairwise Contrasts in RM ANOVA

William Dudley WNDUDLEY

I have a 2 (gender) by 3 (repeated measures over time ) ANOVA  Across a set of outcomes related to coping
I have analyzed each of the 5 or so outcome separately and found several interesting gender by time interactions.

I'd like to conduct single df tests of gender difference at each time point.in order to examine the nature of the interactions.
For instance in one outcome males and females are the same at baseline but Males increase and Female increase at time two and then at time three it looks like males and females are the same.

I have been looking at the examples provide on the UCLA web site for the Keppel text but I am not seeing this single df comparisons.

My syntax look like this

GLM
  copepr_1wNew copepr_1mNew copepr_3mNew BY gender
  /WSFACTOR = cope 3
  /METHOD = SSTYPE(3)
  /PLOT = PROFILE( cope *gender )
  /PRINT = DESCRIPTIVE ETASQ OPOWER
  /CRITERIA = ALPHA(.05)
  /WSDESIGN = cope
  /DESIGN = gender .

Thanks in advance for your help

William N. Dudley, PhD
Associate Dean for Research
The School of Health and Human Performance Office of Research
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
126 HHP Building, PO Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
VOICE 336.2562475
FAX 336.334.3238

Re: Pairwise Contrasts in RM ANOVA

William Dudley WNDUDLEY wrote
[...]

William, look up the EMMEANS in the help files, and pay attention to the examples that include COMPARE.  E.g.,

Example

GLM DEP BY A B
  /EMMEANS = TABLES(A*B)COMPARE(A)
  /DESIGN.

• The output of this analysis includes a pairwise comparisons table for the dependent variable DEP.

• Assume that A has three levels and B has two levels. The first level of A is compared with the second and third levels, the second level is compared with the first and third levels, and the third level is compared with the first and second levels. The pairwise comparison is repeated for the two levels of B.

Re: Pairwise Contrasts in RM ANOVA

Mike
I believe that you want to include the following code at the end
of your program:

/emmeans=tables(cope*gender) compare(gender).

This will produce (a) LSD post hoc comparisons (i.e., overall
Type I error not controlled) and (b) simple effects analysis at
each level of "cope".

-Mike Palij
New York University
[hidden email]

Re: Losing changes to data files when saving SPSS 16.02

Bianco, Joseph
Whenever I alter a data file (.sav) and save it (either using the toolbar button or File->Save As, I end up with the original file (without my changes) upon reopening it. For example, I'll create new variables, delete cases, etc., and save the spreadsheet, but these changes never last--I lose everything but the original file (which isn't read-only).

I use SPSS 16 and recently downloaded updates and patches. I currently have 16.0.2 and use Vista (although this problem also manifested in XP).

I have lost many hours of work--repeatedly-- and don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Joe

Re: Losing changes to data files when saving SPSS 16.02

Kylie Lange-3
Hi Joe,

A colleague had a similar problem, which was due to there being an apostrophe in either the filename or the file path (I can't remember which one). Removing the apostrophe fixed the problem, so I don't know if that could be your problem here?

Cheers,
Kylie.