Comparison between SPSS and other statistical pakages

Comparison between SPSS and other statistical pakages

Rubier Perez
Hello, to  you all.
I would like to know to which extent SPSS is superior to Minitab,
Statgraphics, Statistica, SAS, PSPP, NCSS, Matlab, Stata and R. I
mean, which aspects make the difference when comparing SPSS to each to
the rest of the statistical pakages.
Thanks in advance,
Rubier

Este mensaje le ha llegado mediante el servicio de correo electronico que ofrece Infomed para respaldar el cumplimiento de las misiones del Sistema Nacional de Salud. La persona que envia este correo asume el compromiso de usar el servicio a tales fines y cumplir con las regulaciones establecidas

Infomed: http://www.sld.cu/

Automatic reply: Comparison between SPSS and other statistical pakages

Fuller, Matthew
I will be out of the office until Monday, September 24th, with limited access to e-mail.

Re: Comparison between SPSS and other statistical pakages

Martha Hewett
Here are a couple of items you might want to check out:

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/technicalreports/Number1/ucla_ATSstat_tr1_1.0.pdf
http://www.r-bloggers.com/the-popularity-of-data-analysis-software-r-vs-sas-vs-spss-etc/

From:        Rubier Perez <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        09/20/2012 01:41 PM
Subject:        Comparison between SPSS and other statistical pakages
Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>

Hello, to  you all.
I would like to know to which extent SPSS is superior to Minitab,
Statgraphics, Statistica, SAS, PSPP, NCSS, Matlab, Stata and R. I
mean, which aspects make the difference when comparing SPSS to each to
the rest of the statistical pakages.
Thanks in advance,
Rubier

Este mensaje le ha llegado mediante el servicio de correo electronico que ofrece Infomed para respaldar el cumplimiento de las misiones del Sistema Nacional de Salud. La persona que envia este correo asume el compromiso de usar el servicio a tales fines y cumplir con las regulaciones establecidas

Infomed:
http://www.sld.cu/

Re: Comparison between SPSS and other statistical pakages

Mark Miller
You can add Bob Muenchen's home page where comparisons
are updated several times a year
"The Popularity of Data Analysis Software"
He also had a 2006 comparison paper entitled
"R for SAS and SPSS users" which he updated
several times and eventually parlayed into a
book published by Springer-Verlag.

However, if you just browse through the Wikipedia entries
"List of Statistical Packages" and "Comparison of Statistical Packages"
then I would hope that you can imagine the difficulty and expense
of any broad and/or deep comparison of statistical packages.

... Mark Miller

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Martha Hewett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here are a couple of items you might want to check out:

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/technicalreports/Number1/ucla_ATSstat_tr1_1.0.pdf
http://www.r-bloggers.com/the-popularity-of-data-analysis-software-r-vs-sas-vs-spss-etc/

Re: Comparison between SPSS and other statistical pakages

What I like about the first link Martha gives below is that Michael Mitchell actually has a fair bit of experience with each of the three packages being compared, although he confesses to having more experience with Stata IIRC.  Too often, these discussions degenerate into "my package is better than your package"* pissing contests, with most of the combatants being largely ignorant of what the other packages can actually do.

If your institution has access to it, you could also look at this short note by Alan Acock:

  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2005.00196.x/full

HTH.

* I'll be curious to see what people do with a set-up like that.  ;-)

Martha Hewett wrote
Here are a couple of items you might want to check out:

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/technicalreports/Number1/ucla_ATSstat_tr1_1.0.pdf
http://www.r-bloggers.com/the-popularity-of-data-analysis-software-r-vs-sas-vs-spss-etc/

Re: Comparison between SPSS and other statistical packages

Jon K Peck
Bear in mind that the first reference is six years old and does not mention the large amount of change that has happened since.

Jon Peck (no "h") aka Kim
Senior Software Engineer, IBM
[hidden email]
new phone: 720-342-5621