Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

I have a student with a visual impairment who is struggling with the output generated by SPSS.  I've discovered that we can modify the size of the text in the Output Viewer's navigation panel (on the left) by clicking on View - Outline Size, and selecting Small, Medium or Large.  But I see nothing that modifies the size of the tables, text and graphs in the main output pane.  Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
Bruce

Automatic reply: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

Lorin Drake
I will be out of town on business until Monday, September 24. I will have email access while I'm out.
If your need is urgent, please call our switchboard and someone will direct your call: (813) 207-0332.

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

Martha Hewett
I'm in PASW 18.  There, in the menus, Edit/Options/Viewer allows you to change the title and text output font.  It isn't retroactive - it only changes output produced after you change the settings.  Edit/Options/Charts lets you change the text size on the charts.  I'm not sure what else.

From:        Bruce Weaver <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        09/19/2012 04:42 PM
Subject:        Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?
Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>

I have a student with a visual impairment who is struggling with the output
generated by SPSS.  I've discovered that we can modify the size of the text
in the Output Viewer's navigation panel (on the left) by clicking on View -
Outline Size, and selecting Small, Medium or Large.  But I see nothing that
modifies the size of the tables, text and graphs in the main output pane.
Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
Bruce

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

The easiest way is just to set an appropriate default tableLook.  In Edit >Options > Pivot Tables.  There is one called LargeFont.

If they don't find that suitable, you can make your own with specific fonts and point sizes and color settings by editing a pivot table, making the changes, and saving it as a tableLook.

HTH

Jon Peck (no "h") aka Kim
Senior Software Engineer, IBM
[hidden email]
new phone: 720-342-5621

From:   Jon K Peck/Chicago/IBM
To:     [hidden email]
Cc:     [hidden email]
Date:   09/19/2012 07:49 PM
Subject:        Re: [SPSSX-L] Can text & tables in the output viewer be
enlarged?

The easiest way is just to set an appropriate default tableLook.  In Edit
>Options > Pivot Tables.  There is one called LargeFont.

If they don't find that suitable, you can make your own with specific
fonts and point sizes and color settings by editing a pivot table, making
the changes, and saving it as a tableLook.

HTH

Jon Peck (no "h") aka Kim
Senior Software Engineer, IBM
[hidden email]
new phone: 720-342-5621

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

ViAnn Beadle
Both Windows and Mac have a magnifier that zooms anything on the display.

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

I did not know that, but just found it on my Windoze machine by clicking Start, then typing Magnifier in the search box.  Thanks ViAnn.

ViAnn Beadle wrote
Both Windows and Mac have a magnifier that zooms anything on the display.

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

John F Hall
Bruce

Another trick is to export the spv output to a Word rtf file, open the rtf
file and then use CTRL and the scroll wheel to increase decrease the size of
the display.

John

John F Hall (Mr)

Email:    [hidden email]
Website: www.surveyresearch.weebly.com

Oh yes, I should have thought of Edit - Options.  I'm at home now (with no
SPSS), but will investigate that tomorrow.  Thanks Martha.

Martha Hewett wrote
> I'm in PASW 18.  There, in the menus, Edit/Options/Viewer allows you
> to change the title and text output font.  It isn't retroactive - it
> only changes output produced after you change the settings.
> Edit/Options/Charts lets you change the text size on the charts.  I'm not
sure what else.

> From:   Bruce Weaver &lt;

> bruce.weaver@

> &gt;

> SPSSX-L@.UGA

> Date:   09/19/2012 04:42 PM
> Subject:        Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?
> Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" &lt;

> SPSSX-L@.UGA

> &gt;
>

> I have a student with a visual impairment who is struggling with the
> output generated by SPSS.  I've discovered that we can modify the size
> of the text in the Output Viewer's navigation panel (on the left) by
> clicking on View
> -
> Outline Size, and selecting Small, Medium or Large.  But I see nothing
> that modifies the size of the tables, text and graphs in the main
> output pane.
> Is there any way to do that?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce
>

> -----
> --
> Bruce Weaver

> bweaver@

> http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
>
> "When all else fails, RTFM."
>
> NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
> To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

Lemon, John S.
Although I haven't investigated it, 21 has the ability to link in to the JAWS software from freedomscientific.com and this might help - we will be making it available to our students shortly.

Best Wishes

John S. Lemon
DIT ( Directorate of Information Technology ) - Student Liaison Officer
University of Aberdeen
Edward Wright Building: Room G86a
Tel:  +44 1224 273350

DIT news for Students

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

Hi John.  Yes, we did consider exporting to Word and modifying there.  We concluded that it would be okay for a finished job, but that it would be a PITA during development of the syntax, where one is going back and forth from output to syntax quite frequently.

Cheers,
Bruce

John F Hall wrote
Bruce

Another trick is to export the spv output to a Word rtf file, open the rtf
file and then use CTRL and the scroll wheel to increase decrease the size of
the display.

John

John F Hall (Mr)

Email:    [hidden email]
Website: www.surveyresearch.weebly.com

Oh yes, I should have thought of Edit - Options.  I'm at home now (with no
SPSS), but will investigate that tomorrow.  Thanks Martha.

Martha Hewett wrote
> I'm in PASW 18.  There, in the menus, Edit/Options/Viewer allows you
> to change the title and text output font.  It isn't retroactive - it
> only changes output produced after you change the settings.
> Edit/Options/Charts lets you change the text size on the charts.  I'm not
sure what else.

> From:   Bruce Weaver <

> bruce.weaver@

> SPSSX-L@.UGA

> Date:   09/19/2012 04:42 PM
> Subject:        Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?
> Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <

> SPSSX-L@.UGA

> I have a student with a visual impairment who is struggling with the
> output generated by SPSS.  I've discovered that we can modify the size
> of the text in the Output Viewer's navigation panel (on the left) by
> clicking on View
> -
> Outline Size, and selecting Small, Medium or Large.  But I see nothing
> that modifies the size of the tables, text and graphs in the main
> output pane.
> Is there any way to do that?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce
>

> -----
> --
> Bruce Weaver

> bweaver@

> http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
>
> "When all else fails, RTFM."
>
> NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
> To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

Andy W
This post was updated on .
I will try to put together a chart template for this in my spare time (seems as worthy a use for answering questions on here as any). Part of the pain is that there are alot of different items that need to be changed so "any" type of plot produced will be bigger for all the related facets.

One can make the physical plotting area bigger pretty easily, if you look at the chart template via a text editor, you will see  "!--Set the default chart size --", edit the xml below to make the physical size of the chart bigger (also this is the only way to make charts images really big, as there are limits to how big you can make the chart via post-hoc editing in the editor). But, the other elements in the chart (both graphic elements like points in scatter plots and text elements) are not enlarged. These things are all in various places throughout the chart template, so it is a bit of a pain.

Part of the problem with just editing one chart and saving the template is that SPSS has separate xml code snippets for different types of charts. So if you make the edits for scatterplots the saved template won't necessarily be applicable to a bar chart. There are more parts that have to be edited.

Andy
Andy W
apwheele@gmail.com
http://andrewpwheeler.wordpress.com/

Re: Can text & tables in the output viewer be enlarged?

Hi John.  Thanks for the tip.  We've just started using v20 here, so I don't know if that will complicate matters.  I'll pass along the freedomscientific link to the student though.

Cheers,
Bruce

Lemon, John S. wrote