Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

J.D. Haltigan
Can anyone explain why when I have one data set open in the SPSS data editor
and I open a syntax file unrelated to that data, say from another folder,
that SPSS behaves so as to open another data editor window? I only want one
data editor window open but to work with multiple syntax files.

Similarly, I have found that when attempting to open syntax (.sps) files
from the drop down, SPSS does not recognize .sps shortcuts (say shortcuts on
your desktop). Does one have to open from the root file in the root folder
is using the drop down dialog box?

To be sure I am using V25 with the latest fixpack (2). Both issues are
highly annoying for me.



--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Hello J.D.  If I understand your problem, I am unable to duplicate it (using
SPSS 25.0.0.2 under Windows 7).  Here's what I tried, with comments
describing the manual operations.

NEW FILE.
DATASET CLOSE ALL.
DATA LIST LIST / junk(F1).
BEGIN DATA
1
END DATA.
* Open another syntax file manually via double-click in file browser.
* Result:  Still only one dataset open.

NEW FILE.
DATASET CLOSE ALL.
DATA LIST LIST / junk(F1).
BEGIN DATA
1
END DATA.
DATASET NAME d1.
* Open another syntax file manually via double-click in file browser.
* Result:  Still only one dataset open.

NEW FILE.
DATASET CLOSE ALL.
DATA LIST LIST / junk(F1).
BEGIN DATA
1
END DATA.
* Open another syntax file manually via FILE>OPEN in SPSS.
* Result:  Still only one dataset open.

NEW FILE.
DATASET CLOSE ALL.
DATA LIST LIST / junk(F1).
BEGIN DATA
1
END DATA.
* Open another syntax file manually via FILE>OPEN in SPSS using Desktop
shortcut.
* Result:  Still only one dataset open, but .lnk file opens, not .sps file.




J.D. Haltigan wrote

> Can anyone explain why when I have one data set open in the SPSS data
> editor
> and I open a syntax file unrelated to that data, say from another folder,
> that SPSS behaves so as to open another data editor window? I only want
> one
> data editor window open but to work with multiple syntax files.
>
> Similarly, I have found that when attempting to open syntax (.sps) files
> from the drop down, SPSS does not recognize .sps shortcuts (say shortcuts
> on
> your desktop). Does one have to open from the root file in the root folder
> is using the drop down dialog box?
>
> To be sure I am using V25 with the latest fixpack (2). Both issues are
> highly annoying for me.
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD





-----
--
Bruce Weaver
[hidden email]
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.

--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

Jon Peck
In reply to this post by J.D. Haltigan
As far as I can see, Statistics always launches a new instance when you start from the File Explorer.  Applications in Windows are defined as single instance or multiple instance, which determines whether a new instance is started or the file is sent to the existing instance.  Statistics is defined as multiple instance so that multiple independent sessions can run.  I don't see any way to change this.  And, as mentioned off list, a new instance must always have a Data Editor window, which will initially be empty.

However, once you have an instance running, the time required to launch another instance is much less than required the first time, because most of the code needed is already in memory.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:20 PM J.D. Haltigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be good to know if it is 'always' true. It appears from what I am encountering (even after restarting my system) that this is the case. Statistics (as has been noted on the board before) takes an annoyingly longer time to load than other software/applications. I wish they would address this.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:26 PM Jon Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m not sure about always, but I think that is mostly true.  This is related to structure that supports Production Mode, where you can run jobs in the background without disturbing an interactive session

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 9:15 PM J.D. Haltigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is precisely what I am doing---the former. Is it the case that if you double click via File Explorer you will always open a new instance of Statistics?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:10 PM Jon Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do things like that all the time without seeing this behavior.  Are you double clicking a file via the File Explorer or opening from the Statistics File menu?  If the former, you might be launching a new instance of Statistics, which would require a new, empty DE window.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 9:06 PM J.D. Haltigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Jon for responding back channel to me.

To clarify: I am currently working in an open dataset relevant to one project with it's syntax file open. When I next open a syntax file unrelated to the current project I am working on, SPSS opens the syntax file but also opens a blank data editor with it.

Best regards,
J.D.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 9:10 PM Jon Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried to reproduce the blank DE window issue you described, but I can't make that happen.  I tried toggling between windows using Alt-Tab. switching from the Window menu, and opening sps files via File > Open.  I often have multiple syntax files open, but I don't see that behavior.

Can you describe in more detail exactly what you are doing?

As for shortcuts, I tried just one from the desktop, and it did appear in the recently used files list, but I rarely use desktop shortcuts, so that may not be a good test,

I am running 25 with FP2 on Windows 10.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 6:10 PM J.D. Haltigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can anyone explain why when I have one data set open in the SPSS data editor
and I open a syntax file unrelated to that data, say from another folder,
that SPSS behaves so as to open another data editor window? I only want one
data editor window open but to work with multiple syntax files.

Similarly, I have found that when attempting to open syntax (.sps) files
from the drop down, SPSS does not recognize .sps shortcuts (say shortcuts on
your desktop). Does one have to open from the root file in the root folder
is using the drop down dialog box?

To be sure I am using V25 with the latest fixpack (2). Both issues are
highly annoying for me.



--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD


--
Jon K Peck
[hidden email]

--
Jon K Peck
[hidden email]

--
Jon K Peck
[hidden email]



--
Jon K Peck
[hidden email]

===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Hi Jon.  When I read the original post, I wondered if something like that was
happening.  (It happens with Stata, for example.)  But when I tried to
duplicate the problem (using SPSS 25.0.0.2 under Windows 7), that did *not*
happen.  You can see what I tried (and the results) in this post:

http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/Behavior-of-editor-multiple-file-extensions-open-tp5737279p5737281.html

I am suspicious that the link between the UGA mailing list and the Nabble
archive is a bit flaky at the moment, so some of you may have missed that
post.  

Bruce


Jon Peck wrote
> As far as I can see, Statistics always launches a new instance when you
> start from the File Explorer.  Applications in Windows are defined as
> single instance or multiple instance, which determines whether a new
> instance is started or the file is sent to the existing instance.
> Statistics is defined as multiple instance so that multiple independent
> sessions can run.  I don't see any way to change this.  And, as mentioned
> off list, a new instance must always have a Data Editor window, which will
> initially be empty.
> --- snip ---





-----
--
Bruce Weaver
[hidden email]
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.

--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

J.D. Haltigan
Can confirm the link between UGA mailing list and Nabble archive a bit flaky
at moment as my initial post on this was lost.

Per Jon, this is what I am observing and seems to explain the phenomenon.
Often I open files from explorer and not inside the UGI. I'll have to see
Bruce how to implement your proposed solution.

JD



--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

J.D. Haltigan
PS:

Bruce, if I follow your syntax correctly, the reason it does not reproduce
the problem it would seem is because you are doing everything from within an
open instance of the syntax editor itself, no?

JD



--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Where I said:

* Open another syntax file manually via double-click in file browser.

I meant that I used a Windows Explorer clone to browse to the the file.  I
did not click File>Open in SPSS.  



J.D. Haltigan wrote

> PS:
>
> Bruce, if I follow your syntax correctly, the reason it does not reproduce
> the problem it would seem is because you are doing everything from within
> an
> open instance of the syntax editor itself, no?
>
> JD
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/
>
> =====================
> To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to

> LISTSERV@.UGA

>  (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
> command. To leave the list, send the command
> SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
> For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
> INFO REFCARD





-----
--
Bruce Weaver
[hidden email]
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.

--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca
http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly.
To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

J.D. Haltigan
I wonder if there is setting one can tweak in preferences to avoid this? I
have restarted my machine and tried this again, opening a syntax file
unrelated to the current project data and associated open syntax and again a
separate data editor opens up.

Not quite clear Bruce how your solution avoids this. To be sure, you
understand my situation as:

I have a dataset open. I have it's relevant syntax file open. I then (in
Explorer) browse to a completely unrelated syntax file for a completely
different project. I double-click to open it. When opened, another instance
of the data editor opens with it.

JD



--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

Jon Peck
There is no preference setting for single vs multiple instance operation of Statistics that I know of.  It is designed to allow multiple concurrent sessions.  But taking a step back, what is the benefit of going over to the Explorer to open a file vs using the Open dialog within Statistics once Statistics is running?  There is a preference setting (Edit > Options > Files) to tell Statistics to start the Open dialog from the last used location vs the default location at launch that might help.

Another thing that might help in some scenarios is to use the STATS OPEN PROJECT extension command to open a set of files of various types at launch or later and to run specified syntax files.

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 2:17 PM J.D. Haltigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wonder if there is setting one can tweak in preferences to avoid this? I
have restarted my machine and tried this again, opening a syntax file
unrelated to the current project data and associated open syntax and again a
separate data editor opens up.

Not quite clear Bruce how your solution avoids this. To be sure, you
understand my situation as:

I have a dataset open. I have it's relevant syntax file open. I then (in
Explorer) browse to a completely unrelated syntax file for a completely
different project. I double-click to open it. When opened, another instance
of the data editor opens with it.

JD



--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
--
Jon K Peck
[hidden email]

===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

J.D. Haltigan
Yes, I have already set the one preference you mention re: last location. I
guess it is just a quirk of how I work within the Windows environment.
Certainly not something major that I can not handle. Annoying nonetheless.



--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behavior of editor - multiple file extensions open

Rick Oliver
You can also drag and drop files from the OS file system onto the open instance of the application. This will open the file in that open instance, rather than spawning a new instance.

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019, 4:08 PM J.D. Haltigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I have already set the one preference you mention re: last location. I
guess it is just a quirk of how I work within the Windows environment.
Certainly not something major that I can not handle. Annoying nonetheless.



--
Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to
[hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the
command. To leave the list, send the command
SIGNOFF SPSSX-L
For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command
INFO REFCARD
===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD