Begin program python. gives error message

Begin program python. gives error message

Art Kendall
I have a small python program the Jon Peck was kind enough to write.  I changed the file locations to adapt it to my machine.
It ran fine under Python.

I then pasted the python program into the syntax window.  I wrapped it in
begin program python.
end program.

I get the following error. Any ideas what it means?

>Error # 6890.  Command name: begin program
>Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.
>This command not executed.
Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the LIB_NAME is NULL.

>Error # 6887.  Command name: begin program
>External program failed during initialization.

Re: Begin program python. gives error message

Jon K Peck

This error usually means that the Python plugin was installed incorrectly.  You need to uninstall the plugin before installing a new version.  Try uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin.

HTH,
SPSS, an IBM Company
[hidden email]
312-651-3435

From: Art Kendall <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: 10/31/2009 09:30 AM
Subject: [SPSSX-L] Begin program python.   gives error message
Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>

I have a small python program the Jon Peck was kind enough to write.  I changed the file locations to adapt it to my machine.
It ran fine under Python.

I then pasted the python program into the syntax window.  I wrapped it in
begin program python.
end program.

I get the following error. Any ideas what it means?

>Error # 6890.  Command name: begin program
>Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.
>This command not executed.
Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the LIB_NAME is NULL.

>Error # 6887.  Command name: begin program
>External program failed during initialization.

Re: Begin program python. gives error message

Art Kendall
I tried uninstalling and installing the plugin a couple of  times.  I restarted the system after each uninstall. When that did not work,  I uninstalled PYTHON 2.5, restarted, and tried to install
python-2.5.amd64.msi in c:\python 2.5 , then c:\program files\python 2.5, then c:\program files (x86) \python 2.5.  I removed python 2.5 via control panel each time.
After each attempt I tried to run PASWStatisticsPythonPlugInWin64_1702.exe.  Each time I received a message that "Python 2.5 was not found on this computer..."
However Python 2.5 was there under control panel.

Have you come across this before?

From: Art Kendall [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: 10/31/2009 09:30 AM
Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" [hidden email]

I have a small python program the Jon Peck was kind enough to write.  I changed the file locations to adapt it to my machine.
It ran fine under Python.

I then pasted the python program into the syntax window.  I wrapped it in
begin program python.
end program.

I get the following error. Any ideas what it means?

>Error # 6890.  Command name: begin program
>Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.
>This command not executed.
Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the LIB_NAME is NULL.

>Error # 6887.  Command name: begin program
>External program failed during initialization.

Re: Begin program python. gives error message

Art Kendall
I was able to solve the problem due to the advice of Jon Peck.
I was choosing the 64 bit versions of PYTHON because my machine is a 64 bit machine.
PASW/SPSS 17 was installed fine on my machine, but I had forgotten that it was a 32 bit program.

I don't know when they will ship my version 18, which is supposed to be 64 bit.  I hope it is soon.   I would also like to see if it can take advantage of all 4 processors and the 8G of memory.

From: Art Kendall [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: 10/31/2009 09:30 AM
Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" [hidden email]

I have a small python program the Jon Peck was kind enough to write.  I changed the file locations to adapt it to my machine.
It ran fine under Python.

I then pasted the python program into the syntax window.  I wrapped it in
begin program python.
end program.

I get the following error. Any ideas what it means?

>Error # 6890.  Command name: begin program
>Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.
>This command not executed.
Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the LIB_NAME is NULL.

>Error # 6887.  Command name: begin program
>External program failed during initialization.

Re: Begin program python. gives error message

Garry Gelade
Art, I'd be interested to know what operating system are you runing?

Garry

From: Art Kendall [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: 10/31/2009 09:30 AM

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4562 (20091101) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4562 (20091101) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Begin program python. gives error message

Art Kendall
Windows Vista Ultimate.

I bought  Windows 7 but have not installed it yet.

From: Art Kendall [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: 10/31/2009 09:30 AM
Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" [hidden email]

I have a small python program the Jon Peck was kind enough to write.  I changed the file locations to adapt it to my machine.
It ran fine under Python.

I then pasted the python program into the syntax window.  I wrapped it in
begin program python.
end program.

I get the following error. Any ideas what it means?

>Error # 6890.  Command name: begin program
>Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.
>This command not executed.
Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the LIB_NAME is NULL.

>Error # 6887.  Command name: begin program
>External program failed during initialization.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4562 (20091101) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4562 (20091101) __________

http://www.eset.com

Spss on Linux Ubuntu

Albert-Jan Roskam
Hi,

I'm using Linux Ubuntu on my laptop and I'd love to get rid of Windows altogether (the laptop cam pre-installed with Vista, after installing Ubunu it feels like I got my laptop back!).

Is there any way of installing Spss/PASW on Linux Ubuntu? I see support for Red Hat, but not Ubuntu:
http://support.spss.com/productsext/spss/compatibility.html

I've seen suggestions using Wine, or via a VM, but both seem a bit cumbersome.

Cheers!!
Albert-Jan

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes, that way
when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!

> [...]
>             "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>
>

>       I have a small python program the Jon
> Peck was
> kind enough to write.  I changed the file locations to
> adapt it to my
> machine.
>
> It ran fine under Python.
>

> I then pasted the python program into the syntax window.
>  I wrapped it
> in
>
> begin program python.

> end program.
>

> I get the following error. Any ideas what it means?
>

> >Error # 6890.  Command name: begin program
>
> >Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.
>
> >This command not executed.
>
> Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the
> LIB_NAME is
> NULL.
>

> >Error # 6887.  Command name: begin program
>
> >External program failed during initialization.

Re: Spss on Linux Ubuntu

Victor Kogler
Albert-Jan,

As I see it, a big part of the problem is that the copy of SPSS that one purchases is specific to a particular operating system.  If SPSS-Linux doesn't like your particular Linux distro, then you either have to install and configure Red Hat or you now have an expensive coaster.   A third, unlikely, option is that SPSS (now IBM) would let you return your Linux version and swap it for a Windows version.

Since both Red Hat and Ubuntu are based on Debian, you probably could be able to use SPSS on your Ubuntu laptop.  An additional compatibility note is that I beta tested SPSS 17 for Linux on an openSUSE system and experienced no problems.

I certainly would not run out and buy SPSS 18 for Linux on the basis of these comments.  However, maybe someone on the list has actually done a little experimentation and can enlighten us further.  I also wonder if anyone from SPSS can provide specifics on why the product may not be compatible on other Linux distros.  In the end, it may still turn out to be a a gamble.

Victor

Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Linux Ubuntu on my laptop and I'd love to get rid of Windows altogether (the laptop cam pre-installed with Vista, after installing Ubunu it feels like I got my laptop back!).

Is there any way of installing Spss/PASW on Linux Ubuntu? I see support for Red Hat, but not Ubuntu:
http://support.spss.com/productsext/spss/compatibility.html

I've seen suggestions using Wine, or via a VM, but both seem a bit cumbersome.

Cheers!!
Albert-Jan

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes, that way
when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!

Re: Spss on Linux Ubuntu

ajayohri
Hi ,

I did some experiementation with software called KXEN for the Ubuntu.

Same answer we have specific distributions for specific OS, EXCEPT

that Karmic Koala Ubuntu can be set up for back ward compatibility is you just type in a one line command for upgrading certain files ( yes use the apt get)

What exact libraries need to be upgraded for SPSS compatability to Ubuntu 9.10 ( thats SPSS R and D 's Job)

Incidentally Revolution Computing were nice enough to get their version of R bundled WITH the OS itself.

Lol

Regards,

Ajay
Website- http://decisionstats.com

Graduate Student
University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Go Vols!

Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Linux Ubuntu on my laptop and I'd love to get rid of Windows altogether (the laptop cam pre-installed with Vista, after installing Ubunu it feels like I got my laptop back!).

Is there any way of installing Spss/PASW on Linux Ubuntu? I see support for Red Hat, but not Ubuntu:
http://support.spss.com/productsext/spss/compatibility.html

I've seen suggestions using Wine, or via a VM, but both seem a bit cumbersome.

Cheers!!
Albert-Jan

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes, that way
when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!

Re: Spss on Linux Ubuntu

Arthur Burke-2
Perhaps you might seek advice from the Ubuntu side as well ...

Art

A New Extension Command on Developer Central

Jon K Peck

I have posted a beta version of a new extension command named SPSSINC ANON to SPSS Developer Central, www.spss.com/devcentral.

This extension command replaces the values of selected variables using one of three methods, sequential, random, or transform. It can optionally anonomize variable names as well.

The command can be useful when data values need to be obscured for privacy or other reasons.

The package includes a dialog box with help, the syntax definition, and the implementation. It requires at least version 17.0.1 and the Python programmability plug-in.

This is a beta version. Report problems and suggestions to the Python programmability forum on this site. We hope that you find this package useful.

SPSS, an IBM Company
[hidden email]
312-651-3435

Bootstrapping in PASW Statistics 18

Jarrod Teo-2

Hi All,

I am confused by the results of bootstrapping. Can someone help explain the results from the bootstrap segment? Thanks in advance.

Statistics

Age of Respondent

Respondent's sex

Statistic

Bootstrapa

Bias

Std. Error

95% Confidence Interval

Lower

Upper

f Female

Valid

206

0

0

206

206

Missing

0

0

0

0

0

Mean

45.28

.10

1.14

43.11

47.48

m Male

Valid

172

0

0

172

172

Missing

0

0

0

0

0

Mean

42.96

-.19

1.32

40.40

45.51

x Unknown

Valid

1

0

0

1

1

Missing

0

0

0

0

0

Mean

26.00

.00

.00

26.00

26.00

a. Unless otherwise noted, bootstrap results are based on 200 bootstrap samples

Regards
Dorraj

Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.

Re: Bootstrapping in PASW Statistics 18

Jason Burke
HI Doraj,

What is the question that you are seekiung to answer with the analysis that you are doing?

Kind regards,

Jason

2009/11/3 DorraJ Oet <[hidden email]>

[...]

Hi Jason and all,

Basically Version 18 has this bootstrapping function available and the output shown is from the Statistics portion of a frequency table.

In which it has created the information for bootstrap as shown in my previous email which includes Bias, Standard Error and a 95% CI for the statistics. The statistics is mean by the way.The sample that I have done my bootstrap on is 200 out of 379 cases.

So what are all these additional information and how does it help in my research?

Thanks for your kind reply.

Regards
Dorraj

Re: Bootstrapping in PASW Statistics 18

Marta Garcia-Granero
Hi Dorraj:

DorraJ Oet wrote:

> Basically Version 18 has this bootstrapping function available and the
> output shown is from the Statistics portion of a frequency table.
It really looks like you don't know what bootstrap is and simply tried
it for fun, just because PASW 18 has it. Bad idea, you should learn a
bit about any statistical method before using it. Although I'm not very
sure if wikipedia is always right (as a matter of fact, a lot of times
I'm sure it is NOT), I read their article on bootstrapping and liked it
(although "Efron, B.; Tibshirani, R. (1993). An Introduction to the
Bootstrap " would be much better, of course, in case you could get a
copy of it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_%28statistics%29

I also like this book:

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/ips5e/content/cat_080/pdf/moore14.pdf

> In which it has created the information for bootstrap as shown in my
> previous email which includes Bias, Standard Error and a 95% CI for
> the statistics. The statistics is mean by the way.The sample that I
> have done my bootstrap on is 200 out of 379 cases.

Wrong, this means that you have taken 200 samples consisting on 379
cases, resampled from your original sample. (that sentence of yours made
me think you really don't know what boostrapping is).

> So what are all these additional information and how does it help in
> my research?

Read the wikipedia article and you will know.

HTH,
Marta GG

--
For miscellaneous SPSS related statistical stuff, visit:
http://gjyp.nl/marta/

Re: Spss on Linux Ubuntu

Albert-Jan Roskam

Thanks to all who responded! I will post a message on this list as soon as I got Spss running on Linux Ubuntu. It seems promising that some people were able to get Spss running for another Linux distro  on Ubuntu.

If it doesn't work, I might use a Linux-native program, namely R.

Cheers!!
Albert-Jan

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes, that way
when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!

> I'm using Linux Ubuntu on my laptop and I'd love to get rid
> of Windows
> altogether (the laptop cam pre-installed with Vista, after
> installing
> Ubunu it feels like I got my laptop back!).
>
> Is there any way of installing Spss/PASW on Linux Ubuntu? I
> see support
> for Red Hat, but not Ubuntu:
> http://support.spss.com/productsext/spss/compatibility.html
>
> I've seen suggestions using Wine, or via a VM, but both
> seem a bit
> cumbersome.
>
> Cheers!!
> Albert-Jan

> command

Re: Bootstrapping in PASW Statistics 18

Melissa Ives
I found this description helpful.

[...]

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This transmittal and any attachments may contain PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the
addressee. If you are not the designated recipient, or an employee
or agent authorized to deliver such transmittals to the designated
copying or publication of this transmittal is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this transmittal in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the sender and delete this copy from your
system. You may also call us at (309) 827-6026 for assistance.

SPSS syntax for health care risk adjustment models

mpirritano

Pausers!

I’m looking for an spss translation of the centers for medicare and Medicaid services Hierarchical Condition Categories software. The only version available on their website is sas, and the programming would take me some time to translate with my limited knowledge of sas.

If syntax doesn’t exist at least a description of the logic behind the software so that I could design my own.

Help is much appreciated!

Thanks

matt

Matthew Pirritano, Ph.D.