A reference program

Stan Gorodenski
I am attempting to create a file system to store all the research papers
I have that I can then use to print out a hard copy of all my
references. I have just created the program below that is my approach to
creating a file system to store references. My purpose in writing to the
group is to see if any of you can offer suggestions for a better program
than the one below that would be better at reducing the possibility of
entry error (e.g., unless being careful an apostrophe could be
accidentally omitted) or to reduce the number of keystrokes to enter a
reference. A better better program could be a program with better SPSSX
code , a combination of SPSSX and some other language or interface, or
other free non-SPSSX software that might be better. I have broken up the
reference data into separate variables, such as TITLE1, JOURNAL1, so I
can create a hardcopy of my references in any format I want. The KEY
variables are used to extract a subset of the references. The commented
out instructions at the beginning of the program are for my own benefit
so that a year from now when I enter a reference I do not have to
re-figure out what the program does to enter a reference successfully.
Stan
p.s., I sent this to myself and it came through good, i.e., not jumbled
up or spaces deleted

* To enter a reference:
   1. Upon initial launch of the program run 'STEP 1' which consists of
the SET and FILE HANDLE
      statements. BASEFILE already exists and so it is not necessary to
run 'STEP 2' 'STEP 2' was
      only run to create the BASEFILE
   2. Enter the reference data in 'STEP 3'
   3. Run 'STEP 3'
   4. Check the output to make sure there are no entry errors, such as
an ending period missing
   5. Run 'STEP 4'
   6. If there are no errors in the output, then start all over again to
enter another reference
      starting at 'STEP 2'. It is not necessary to run 'STEP 1'.

* ----- STEP 1.
SET PRINTBACK=YES / EPOCH=AUTOMATIC / MESSAGES=YES / MITERATE=1530 /
UNICODE=NO /* ERRORS=NO */.
FILE HANDLE SUBDIR
       /
NAME='C:\Users\Stan\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\SPSS Files'.

* ----- STEP 2.
NEW FILE.
INPUT PROGRAM.
   STRING TITLE1 TO TITLE4 JOURNAL1 JOURNAL2 CITATION AUTHOR1 TO
AUTHOR3(A100).
   NUMERIC YEAR (F8.2) / KEY1 TO KEY40 (F1) / CASENUM (F12).
   COMPUTE CASENUM = 0.
   VECTOR KEY = KEY1 TO KEY40.
   LOOP #i = 1 to 40.
     COMPUTE KEY(#i) = 0.
   END LOOP.
   END CASE.
   END FILE.
END INPUT PROGRAM.

SAVE OUT 'SUBDIR\Basefile'.

* ----- STEP 3.
GET FILE 'SUBDIR\Basefile'.
*                   1   5   10   15   20   25   30   35   40   45   50
55   60   65   70   75   80   85   90   95  100.
COMPUTE TITLE1 =   'Secular Variation of the Mode Amplitude-Ratio of the
Double Mode RR Lyrae Star NSVS 522076, Part II'.
COMPUTE TITLE2 =   ' '.
COMPUTE TITLE3 =   ' '.
COMPUTE TITLE4 =   ' '.
COMPUTE JOURNAL1 = 'Journal of the American Associaton of Variable Star
Observers'.
COMPUTE JOURNAL2 = ' '.
COMPUTE CITATION = 'Vol. 40, pp. 1-5'.
COMPUTE AUTHOR1 =  'Hurdis, David A., Tom Krajci'.
COMPUTE AUTHOR2 =  ' '.
COMPUTE AUTHOR3 =  ' '.
COMPUTE YEAR = 2012.
COMPUTE KEY1  = 1. /* ASTRONOMY */.
COMPUTE KEY2  = 0. /* SPECTROSCOPY */.
COMPUTE KEY3  = 1. /* PHOTOMETRY */.
COMPUTE KEY4  = 1. /* BINARY OR DOUBLE STARS */.
COMPUTE KEY5  = 1. /* VARIABLE STAR */.

COMPUTE KEY10 = 0. /* BIOLOGY */.
COMPUTE KEY11 = 0. /* GENETICS */.
COMPUTE KEY12 = 0. /* LEPIDOPERA */.
COMPUTE KEY13 = 0. /* TAXONOMY */.
COMPUTE KEY14 = 0. /* SPECIATION */.

* ----- STEP 4.
ADD FILES FILE='SUBDIR\Referencefile' / FILE=*.
EXECUTE.
COMPUTE CASENUM=$CASENUM.

SAVE OUT 'SUBDIR\Referencefile'.

GET FILE 'SUBDIR\Referencefile'.
LIST CASENUM TITLE1 TITLE2 JOURNAL1 CITATION AUTHOR1 YEAR KEY1 TO KEY4
KEY10 TO KEY14.

Re: A reference program

Art Kendall
If your citations are books, I suggest that you look at the Library of Congress page.  All of the text for a card catalog card can be down loaded.  If I recall correctly one of the formats is tagged.

Also today many books come with a barcode.  A few years ago a barcode scanner for a laptop cost $30 new. I think there are some used ones for $15 or so.

Check the APA website, to see ways of citing different kind of products, journals articles, webcasts, books, etc.. I believe there is now a standard ID coding for journal articles.

Re: A reference program

Andy W
That is pretty similar to how I do it. I have 3 separate flat files - one for journal articles, one for books, and one for book chapters. This is because they can have slightly different fields - books need a publisher and publication location for example - journals need volume and issue etc. For authors I separate out individual names, so have first, middle, last. I would also suggest including a permanent url (doi for most stuff now, JSTOR has a special url though instead sometimes), as some newer citation formats ask for that.

I considered doing a more serious database, and that would allow you to have separate tables for authors and keywords and then link them via some sort of ID, so you wouldn't have to worry about perpetually adding more variables for more coauthors. But that is too much work and the flat file system works ok for my needs. (Basically at this point to just compile a bibtex file, but I wrote a script to do citation inserts in Word via VBA a while ago.)

There will always be a few things that don't fit the mold of however you set up the database (such as conference proceedings don't necessarily line up with journal articles) but with my set up those things are few enough that it isn't a big hindrance.

I use CiteULike in conjunction with this to store the PDFs and I am pretty happy with the overall system. Going on close to 2000 articles and books IIRC for mine currently. If I was doing a meta-analysis this would be a good system to use as well.
Andy W
apwheele@gmail.com
http://andrewpwheeler.wordpress.com/

Re: A reference program

Not exactly what SPSS was designed for, but I recall someone years ago writing a mail merge program in it that he was quite satisfied with.

One thing that would make using it a lot easier would be to create a simple custom dialog with all the fields for entering a reference.  The creation code would go in the code portion of the dialog, and the various controls - mainly text fields would substitute into the code similar to a macro expansion.

You could make a second dialog for generating a report.

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Stan Gorodenski <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, It may not be exactly what SPSS was designed for, but I thought I
had ACCESS as part of Office 2007, but then discovered it does not come
with the home version. I looked on the internet for other database
programs, but since I am not familiar with a lot of the terminology and
features, it would have been difficult for me to wade through this stuff
and even then I am not sure I would get what I want. Then it occurred to
me that I could probably do this in SPSSX. It's already paid for.

How would I create a simple custom dialog for entering a reference? Is
this something done with SPSSX or another program?
Stan

On 5/1/2017 12:02 PM, Jon Peck wrote:

> [...]
>     COMPUTE AUTHOR1 =  'Hurdis, David A., Tom Krajci'.
>     COMPUTE AUTHOR2 =  ' '.
>     COMPUTE AUTHOR3 =  ' '.
>     COMPUTE YEAR = 2012.
>     COMPUTE KEY1  = 1. /* ASTRONOMY */.
>     COMPUTE KEY2  = 0. /* SPECTROSCOPY */.
>     COMPUTE KEY3  = 1. /* PHOTOMETRY */.
>     COMPUTE KEY4  = 1. /* BINARY OR DOUBLE STARS */.
>     COMPUTE KEY5  = 1. /* VARIABLE STAR */.
>
>     COMPUTE KEY10 = 0. /* BIOLOGY */.
>     COMPUTE KEY11 = 0. /* GENETICS */.
>     COMPUTE KEY12 = 0. /* LEPIDOPERA */.
>     COMPUTE KEY13 = 0. /* TAXONOMY */.
>     COMPUTE KEY14 = 0. /* SPECIATION */.
>
>     * ----- STEP 4.
>     ADD FILES FILE='SUBDIR\Referencefile' / FILE=*.
>     EXECUTE.
>     COMPUTE CASENUM=$CASENUM.
>
>     SAVE OUT 'SUBDIR\Referencefile'.
>
>     GET FILE 'SUBDIR\Referencefile'.
>     LIST CASENUM TITLE1 TITLE2 JOURNAL1 CITATION AUTHOR1 YEAR KEY1 TO

Re: A reference program

Jon Peck
Custom dialogs are easy to create from within Statistics.  Use Extensions >Custom Dialog in V24+ or Utilities > Custom Dialogs > Custom Dialog Builder in older versions.  There is good help there to explain how to do this.

The basic idea in your case would be to put your syntax in the code portion substituting the name of each control parameter in %%.  E.g.
'%%title1%%.

Then you drag a text control onto the dialog canvas, and set its name to title1. and set the syntax property to  COMPUTE TITLE1=%%ThisValue%%
Fill out other relevant properties such as whether it is required or not.

I put the compute statement in the property field, because if the field is optional and you leave it blank, it generates no syntax.

You need to specify some properties for the dialog such as where on the menus it will appear - say, on the Custom menu and give it a title.

There is lots more you can do, but that should help get oriented.

When you are done, install it via the dialog toolbar or menu

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Stan Gorodenski <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Re: A reference program

If you have access to online data bases (PubMed, Orbit, Dialog were some names years ago)  they also would produce tagged files.
By tagged files I mean ascii files something like this which i used Wordperfect to parse but it seems that it would be a Python thing today
example
<DOCID>1234567890 <DOCTYPE> Journal Article <TITLE> What of a which of a wind <#AUTHORS>2 <AUTHOR_1>Peck, Jon Q <AUTHOR_2>Hemingway, Ernest <Journal>Annals of Probability <ABSTRACT> This study did this and that ... <ISSN>...

Re: A reference program

Stan Gorodenski
Thanks, Jon. I will give it a try.
Stan

On 5/1/2017 12:38 PM, Jon Peck wrote:

> [...]
>             COMPUTE KEY4  = 1. /* BINARY OR DOUBLE STARS */.
>             COMPUTE KEY5  = 1. /* VARIABLE STAR */.
>
>             COMPUTE KEY10 = 0. /* BIOLOGY */.
>             COMPUTE KEY11 = 0. /* GENETICS */.
>             COMPUTE KEY12 = 0. /* LEPIDOPERA */.
>             COMPUTE KEY13 = 0. /* TAXONOMY */.
>             COMPUTE KEY14 = 0. /* SPECIATION */.
>
>             * ----- STEP 4.
>             ADD FILES FILE='SUBDIR\Referencefile' / FILE=*.
>             EXECUTE.
>             COMPUTE CASENUM=$CASENUM.
>
>             SAVE OUT 'SUBDIR\Referencefile'.
>
>             GET FILE 'SUBDIR\Referencefile'.
>             LIST CASENUM TITLE1 TITLE2 JOURNAL1 CITATION AUTHOR1 YEAR
>         KEY1 TO
>             KEY4 KEY10 TO KEY14.

>         command
>             INFO REFCARD
>

>         --
>         Jon K Peck
>         [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

Re: A reference program

Stan Gorodenski
Thanks, Andy. I can see great minds think in similar ways. Just joking.
I was sure there was some syntax with the new releases of SPSSX,
compared to when I had a job that had it on the mainframe, that could
make things more clearner.
Stan

On 5/1/2017 11:34 AM, Andy W wrote:

> That is pretty similar to how I do it. I have 3 separate flat files - one for
> journal articles, one for books, and one for book chapters. This is because
> they can have slightly different fields - books need a publisher and
> publication location for example - journals need volume and issue etc. For
> authors I separate out individual names, so have first, middle, last. I
> would also suggest including a permanent url (doi for most stuff now, JSTOR
> has a special url though instead sometimes), as some newer citation formats
> ask for that.
>
> I considered doing a more serious database, and that would allow you to have
> separate tables for authors and keywords and then link them via some sort of
> ID, so you wouldn't have to worry about perpetually adding more variables
> for more coauthors. But that is too much work and the flat file system works
> ok for my needs. (Basically at this point to just compile a bibtex file, but
> I wrote a script to do citation inserts in Word via VBA a while ago.)
>
> There will always be a few things that don't fit the mold of however you set
> up the database (such as conference proceedings don't necessarily line up
> with journal articles) but with my set up those things are few enough that
> it isn't a big hindrance.
>
> I use CiteULike in conjunction with this to store the PDFs and I am pretty
> happy with the overall system. Going on close to 2000 articles and books
> IIRC for mine currently. If I was doing a meta-analysis this would be a good
> system to use as well.
>

> -----
> Andy W
> [hidden email]
> http://andrewpwheeler.wordpress.com/

Re: A reference program

Stan Gorodenski
Thanks for the suggestions. It's interesting the text from a card
catalogue can be downloaded from the Library of Congress.
Stan

On 5/1/2017 11:24 AM, Art Kendall wrote:

> If your citations are books, I suggest that you look at the Library of
> Congress page.  All of the text for a card catalog card can be down loaded.
> If I recall correctly one of the formats is tagged.
>
> Also today many books come with a barcode.  A few years ago a barcode
> scanner for a laptop cost $30 new. I think there are some used ones for $15
> or so.
>
> Check the APA website, to see ways of citing different kind of products,
> journals articles, webcasts, books, etc.. I believe there is now a standard
> ID coding for journal articles.
>

> -----
> Art Kendall
> Social Research Consultants

Re: A reference program

Mark Miller
You might want to take a look at Zotero which is a free bibliographic tool
which supports many formats and data tools.

Another option might be F1000 Workspace which isn't totally free
but has similar capabilities.

Other possibilities can be viewed at Wikipedia under topic
"Comparison of reference management software"