18 freezing/crashing

Angie Carrico
Ok Gurus,
I have been receiving list messages for a couple of months and all here are well above my spss knowledge.  Our IT person (which means I am not!!) upgraded to 18 (I was at 17) and I can't even open SPSS now.  It freezes/crashes at the "what do you want to do screen" - I can't get anywhere.  I just have to reboot.  I am on the bottom end of the RAM requirements so maybe that is the issue.
I have never searched archives before and am not much of a syntax user (boo-hiss, I know -- I want to learn) so I thought I would reach out to you all while my IT person struggles to reach someone at SPSS.  Anyone else have this problem??  Suggestions??

Sigh...

--
Angela Carrico
Director of Institutional Research